Friday, April 10, 2020

Things aren't looking good

It's been just under a month since the Canadian Hockey League followed the rest of the sports world and paused their season due to the coronavirus pandemic. Since that March 12 announcement, the regular season, playoffs and Memorial Cup have all been cancelled.

With the 2019-20 season officially behind us, it's time to start looking forward to next season. What next season will look like is the big question.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's press conference on Thursday did not bring great news for sports fans, saying that some kinds of social distancing guidelines would likely be in place until a vaccine for COVID-19 is created, which is apparently anywhere from six months to two years away.

While the strong social distancing measures that are currently in place will likely be relaxed in the coming weeks and months, it's hard to imagine large gatherings of people - like junior hockey games - being permitted to take place if the threat of COVID-19 is still there. There are also two more waves of the virus expected to come, including a second one in the fall.

Many jurisdictions across North American have already banned large gatherings until at least July and more and more reports are coming out of leagues trying to figure out how to get games going again but with no fans in the building.

Playing in front of no fans seems like the easiest route to getting professional sports up and running again. There are obviously still a lot of logistical hurdles, but it seems like the simplest and safest option. That's great for leagues that can count of massive sponsorship deals and television contracts to pay the bills but it's not great for leagues that rely on ticket revenue to survive.

If the only way for the CHL to return is to play in empty buildings, there probably won't be a return of the CHL in the near future. The same goes for most minor league sports - not just hockey.

“Our entire business model is people coming to our stadium,” Scott Hunsicker, general manager of the Reading Fightin Phils AA baseball team, told the Wall Street Journal. “The concept of even playing a game in our stadium with no people is so far outside of our business model that it almost seems like a wasted effort to even ponder it.”

TSN's Bob McKenzie reported on Insider Trading this week that the CHL is already looking at contingency plans for next season, including possibly moving the Memorial Cup into June.



The CHL will return at some point - although what it returns as may look different than what we remember. ESPN speculated that easier access to hand sanitizer and two or more empty seats between fans may be an option to get fans back in buildings sooner - and that's if a lot of fans feel comfortable in coming back.

Here's hoping we're all back safely inside CHL buildings soon.

3 comments:

  1. Does anyone still doubt natural herbs? I have seen the great importance of natural herbs and the wonderful work they have done in people's lives. I wonder why people still spend their money on English medicine when natural herbs can cure all kinds of mental diseases. I have seen it with my own eyes. My dad and aunt were cured from Huntington disease with Dr Bharet herbal medicine. He used BUJA herbal medicine to cure my dad and aunt from Huntington disease, I know it is hard to believe but am a living testimony. My dad was diagnosed with Huntington's disease in 2016, we have made use of all western medication yet no improvement and his doctors said there is no cure yet but still carrying out research, my dad experienced depression, anxiety and memory lapses that made him hallucinate always, he speaks to himself often and that made me shed tears each night that passes by. 2019 I searched through the internet for a solution and i came across a comment on a blog written by [George Lisa] saying she was cured of Huntington disease that she suffered from for 8years. Without wasting time I quickly contacted Dr Bharat whose name was mentioned in the comment Via his email. He asked me questions which I answered correctly he sent his herbal medicine to us here in Ireland through DHL, in less than one month I started seeing positive improvement on my Dad's health so I introduced the medication to my aunt as well, is been 4 years now, my dad and aunt are living their best life again. Though i gave the medication as i was instructed. My dad and aunt are Huntington disease negative after the medication, Huntington disease is completely gone from my family lineage. With Bharat herbal medicine called BUJA Huntington patients can smile again. For those with Huntington disease or having their love ones diagnosed with Huntington's disease contact Dr Bharat now via dr.bharatkings@gmail.com you will come back to testify

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read carefully, it's said that Huntington disease has no cure, yes with the western medication but not with herbal medicine, my daughter's situation made me to realize that with doctor Bharat herbal medicine it can be cured.. In 2014 she experienced difficulty in concentrating, memory lapses and depression, at first I thought it was stressed from her place of work until I took her to hospital and the doctor made me to understand that it's juvenile Huntington disease because she is still in her late 20s, which she inherited from my late husband that died of the same disease, the doctor told me it has no cure, but gave her some medicine which I noticed that it has side effects, my daughter situation got worst each day that passes, she was the best at her place of work, now a shadow of her self because of this deadly disease, she speaks to herself often, she was really going insane, I do not want to lose my daughter the same way I lost her father, in 2018 I carried out research on internet and bumped into a comment of a lady that got cured of Huntington disease, without wasting time I contacted doctor Bharat whose name was mentioned in the comment, now is been 3 years my daughter is living her best life again, for those that have the disease or have any love one suffering from Huntington disease, contact doctor Bharat via dr.bharatkings@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi everyone, this is good news, a perfect and greats one. My daughter of 38years who has suffered of Huntington's disease for 2 and half years has been cure by a Herbal doctor called Dr Bharat who uses herbal and traditional supplements to cure people. I have spent so much money on my daughter's health for years but no improvement. A friend told me about this herbal man who cure people with herbal supplements. he cures all mental sickness, diseases, viruses, and infections with his different herbal curing supplement .The result that declares my daughter healed was from a hospital here in USA, And the results of the test says my daughter was okay. Dr Bharat said my daughter will be heal in 8weeks(2 months) if she uses the supplements as directed. In 2 weeks i started seeing great improvement, exactly 8weeks we went to confirm from the central hospital and several test that was done says my daughter is Huntington's disease negative. She got cured with Dr Bharat herbal supplements, this is super amazing. My daughter is fully okay and back to her work again. I can boldly say that Huntington's disease is 100% curable with doctor Bharat herbal supplements, is real, anyone with Huntington's disease or have love ones that is suffering from Huntington's disease should contact doctor Bharat now on his mail. dr.bharatkings@gmail.com or WhatsApp him on +393509392854

    ReplyDelete