Thomas Chabot and Matthew Highmore both scored for Saint John while Mathieu Joseph added two assists in the 5-2 loss to the Voltigeurs. Alex D'Orio suffered his first regulation time loss in the QMJHL, making 26 saves.
Marc-Olivier Duquette, Alex Barre-Boulet, Joey Ratelle, Ryan DaSilva and Benjamin Gagne scored for Drummondville. Anthony Dumont-Bouchard made 24 stops in the loss.
To the notes...
- Just as Vincent Martineau was stepping out of the penalty box, the puck came loose to an open Duquette in front, making it 1-0 Voltigeurs at 9:04.
- At 16:43, Bokondji Imama was given a questionable five-minute major and game misconduct for a hit to the head. Joseph had a good shorthanded chance before the period ended, keeping the puck on a two-on-one with Samuel Dove-McFalls, but hit the post.
- Saint John was outshot 16-5 in the first, which is something we haven't seen a lot of this season.
- In the second, the Volts got into some penalty trouble early on. At 3:04, a wrist shot from the point by Chabot got through to tie it at 1-1.
- Drummondville took back the lead at 9:10. While shorthanded, Barre-Boulet fired a shot on net that hit something and found its way past D'Orio.
- The Volts took a 3-1 advantage at 13:30 when Ratelle scored a Chabot/Forsberg like goal on a penalty shot.
- The Sea Dogs would head to the dressing room down by just one. On a power play, Highmore finally scored after a few chances in front at 18:19, making it 3-2.
- With Dove-McFalls given an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty at the end of the second, the Volts started the third on a five-on-three power play. On the man advantage, DaSilva wired a shot from the top of the circle past the blocker of D'Orio 52 seconds in, making it 4-2.
- Gagne secured the victory with an empty net goal in the final minute.
- Saint John was outshot 31-26 overall. It was just the third time this season the Sea Dogs have been outshot by an opponent.
- This was Saint John's first regulation time loss in Quebec this season.
- This was also Saint John's first regulation time loss in nine games.
- After struggling on the man advantage in the past couple games, the Sea Dogs scored twice on the power play.
- Chabot left for a short time in the third period but did return.
- Forward Nathan Noel and defenceman Alexandre Bernier returned from one-game suspensions.
- Forward Isiah Campbell, who made his QMJHL debut on Thursday, was returned to Quebec midget AAA.