Wednesday, July 14, 2010

DESPRES SHINING AT PENS CAMP

All indications from Pittsburgh Penguins development camp say that Simon Despres is a superior prospect.

“Despres is held in higher regard by the Penguins now than when they selected him 30th overall in 2009,” said Chris Nichols of Rogers Sportsnet.

“Despres won't turn 19 for another two weeks and won't be ready to make the Penguins' roster this fall,” writes Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review. “The 2009 first-round draft pick, however, appears to be on the fast track to Pittsburgh.”

“A skilled puck-mover whose skating has improved in the past year, Despres clearly has matured physically,” he stated. “The 6-4, 205-pound defenseman has bulked up considerably since being drafted.”

Despres’ confidence has also been noticed while attending his second development camp.

"Well I think we had a good team last year,” said Despres to Empty Netters. “Confidence for me was a big issue. And it went really high (last) year. It’s always fun to be on the winning team. The atmosphere in our room was good. It was fun to go to the rink."

"Confidence is always a big issue with me," said Despres who, according to Yohe, was quite impressive in an exhibition game last season. "I feel much better about myself this year."

Some may notice the improvement of his mental game, a lot more of noticed his bigger ‘Big Horse’ frame.

"I've been working out," he said with a grin. "You get a bit nervous on the first day. You get scared about your body fat, you know? You try to eat healthy the last days before coming here."

In much more important news, the P-G’s Penguins blog Empty Netters says that his first name is pronounced "Sy-Mun" not "See-mone.”

The blog had a question and answer session with the Sea Dogs veteran defenceman as well.


What's different from his first camp with the Penguins:
"Well this year when I came into camp, I knew what to expect. I’m more confident."

On his first season as a professional:
"It’s what I’ve been dreaming for all my life. It’s what I’ve been working for. You’ve got to keep working to get there."

On his bulkier frame:
"Yeah, I’ve been working out a little bit."

What part of his game has he worked on this summer:
"I’ve been working on my shot this summer a little bit. Shooting on goalies."

His best shot:
"I shoot a lot from the blue line, but give me a chance in the slot and I’ll bury it."

His reaction to the Penguins signing defensemen Paul Martin and Zbynek Michalek on July 1:
"I didn’t really have one."

How does their signings impact his goals this season:
"It gives me a little bit more motivation to work harder and try to earn my spot more if they didn’t sign them."

No comments:

Post a Comment