Via HockeyFights.com, Brett Gallant dropped the gloves and faced Montreal’s George Parros last night at the Bell Centre.
Some other news and notes…
- In pleasantly surprising news, Bathurst was named one of the host cities for the 2014 Subway Super Series. The CHL announced yesterday that the KC Irving Regional Centre will host Game 5 of the series on November 18 while Rimouski will host Game 6 on November 20. The series has been flipped this year (finally!) and will start in the WHL.
- Former Sea Dog Mike Hoffman was named to the AHL’s first All-Star team yesterday. Despite being with the Ottawa Senators for the past few weeks, Hoffman still sits seventh in AHL scoring with 30 goals and 67 points in 51 games with the Binghamton Senators.
- St. Stephen’s new MHL team will be called the “Aces.” You can follow them on Twitter @AcesJrHockey.
- The rosters for the 2014 Gatorade Excellence Challenge, which showcases the top QMJHL draft prospects from the Atlantic Provinces and Quebec, have been announced. This year’s event takes place May 1 to 4 in Boisbriand.
- Willy Palov of the Chronicle Herald has a good take on the Sea Dogs picking first overall in this year's draft.
- USA Today article on Jack Eichel and his desire to go first overall in the 2015 NHL Draft.
- Game 5 of the Halifax-Gatineau playoff series is on Sportsnet tonight at 8pm. The Mooseheads lead the series 3-1. Elsewhere, Baie-Comeau has advanced thanks to a sweep of Rouyn-Noranda, Drummondville and Val-d’Or are tied 2-2, and Rimouski and Blainville-Boisbriand are also tied 2-2.
- If you somehow have not seen this pre-game light show at last weekend’s Mooseheads games at the Metro Centre, check it out here.