Sunday, September 30, 2012

RECAP: Keep On Trucking. Dogs Win 5-1.

By Tim Lumsden
SN Staff

FINAL: Saint John 5, Moncton 1

The Saint John Sea Dogs traveled to the Moncton Coliseum on Sunday afternoon to do battle with the Moncton Wildcats in front of 4,738 ‘Cats and Dogs fans.

It seemed the Wildcats were taking mood lighting to the next level as the rink continued to fill with fog after the players took to the ice. It continued well into the second period as the heating system continued to run in the Coliseum.
The goaltenders for the evening were Sebastien Auger for Saint John and Alex Dubeau for Moncton.

At 3:47, Ryan Tesink and Jonathan Racine got into a scuffle while Jonathan Huberdeau decided he needed a dance partner. Sure enough, an unsettled dispute from Wednesday’s game would have him select Moncton’s Patrick Downe. Ryan Tesink received two minutes for unsportsmanlike conduct, two for roughing and two for playing after losing his helmet. Huberdeau and Downe each received two for unsportsmanlike conduct. Danick Edmond would also receive two minutes for interference.

At 7:56, the Sea Dogs went on the power play as Dmitri Jaskin was sent to the box for slashing Sebastien Auger.

With less than four-and-a-half minutes left of the first, Moncton returned to the penalty box as Ross Johnston was called for high sticking.

Four minutes were handed out to Ryan Tesink at 19:32; two minutes for slashing as well as two for interference. This would leave the Dogs a man short at the start of the second period.

James Melindy’s unfortunate call, at the whistle, would shorten that disadvantage as he was given two minutes for slashing. He’d have to wait until the start of the second to serve it however as the first twenty minutes of hockey came to an end and the teams left the ice.

Saint John was outshot 13-8 in the first period.

After a period of penalties, it would be Moncton that pulled the first of the second period. Dmitri Jaskin was sent off the ice at only 39 seconds in after being called for interference. This would come as a big relief for Saint John’s already shorthanded team.

Jurij Repe went down after a crosscheck. He was helped off the ice to get checked out.

Auger dropped to block a puck and although seemed to be hurt, was able to get up again and continue playing.

Marcus Cuomo was taken down near the Saint John bench by Mark Tremaine. Tremaine would send the Wildcats to the penalty kill with his tripping call at 12:06.

Seconds later, Huberdeau would end Saint John’s power play as he took a hooking call and headed to the box at 12:14.

Saint John fans were relieved to see Jurij Repe step back out onto the ice and continue the rest of the game, seemingly no worse for wear.

Penalties continued as Moncton Wildcat James Melindy sent Stephen Anderson to the ice and was soon sent to the box with a two minute tripping penalty.

Another scoreless penalty came to an end with Moncton barely outshooting Saint John 11-10.

The Third period started off well for Moncton with Ryan Penny scoring off his own rebound against Auger only 18 seconds into the period.

The Sea Dogs would not let that goal go unanswered however. Exactly one minute later, Jason Cameron, assisted by Devon Oliver-Dares and Jakub Izacky, tied the game 1-1.

Soon after, Aidan Kelly was helped off the ice after sacrificing himself to block a shot.

Jonathan Huberdeau did some fancy footwork and faster than you could blink, gave the Dogs the lead of 2-1.

Dmitri Jaskin found himself in the box for the third time in the game. This time for checking from behind.

Jonathan Huberdeau took a high sticking penalty at 5:49. With frustration obviously starting to show, he also took a 10-minute, unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Stephen Anderson added a goal to make it a score 3-1 Sea Dogs thanks to an assist by Andreas Tsogkas. His goal came at 7:33.

Ryan Tesink grabbed a rebound at 9:06 and fired the puck through Dubeau’s guard, increasing the lead to 4-1, and giving Saint John some breathing room after that Huberdeau penalty. Devon Oliver-Dares and Oliver Cooper each got an assist on Saint John’s fourth goal of the game.

Just seconds after the goal, Jason Cameron found himself being sent off for hooking at 9:39.

There was no love lost between Devon Oliver-Dares and Kyle Haas as both were escorted off the ice at 15:37 after a fight broke out. Final tally on penalties for Haas for that fight were: an instigator, attempt to injure, instigator – misconduct, instigator of a fight in final 5 min of regulation time and finally, staged fight occurring before or following face off.

Moncton went on a 5-on-3 power play as Olivier Leblanc was sent off for tripping with only minutes left in the period.

Oliver Cooper would then wrap it all up with a pretty bow as he scored Saint John’s 5th goal of the night into an empty net at 19:46. That would make it a 5-1 final score.

NOTES: See Sea Dogs Postscript tomorrow on SN.

NEXT GAME: Saint John Sea Dogs play their next game on Friday October 5th. Puck drops at Harbour Station at 7:30 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment