A goal and an assist from Joe Veleno wasn’t enough as Canada Black fell 3-2 to Canada Red in quarterfinal action at the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge on Thursday.
Veleno helped open the scoring in the first period and then tied the game at 2-2 in the third. But a goal from Josh Brooks – which was assisted by Antoine Morand and Maxime Comtois – with 2:03 to play gave Red the victory.
Sea Dogs goaltending prospect Alex D’Orio did not play in the game.
Canada Black will play a placement game against the Czech Republic today at 5:30 AST in Dawson Creek, BC.
Some other news and notes…
- Wayne Long, now the MP for the Saint John-Rothesay riding, has officially left his position as president of the Sea Dogs. If you’re interested in applying for the job, here is the job description.
- The Sea Dogs announced via social media yesterday that Kevin Gagne will join Mora IK in Sweden. Elite Prospects lists him on loan with the club. Gagne has spent the past two seasons with the AHL’s Norfolk Admirals.
- Sportsnet is coming to town on Friday, Jan. 22. The Sea Dogs’ game against the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles that night at Harbour Station will air nationally on Sportsnet as part of Friday Night Hockey. The start time for the game will presumably be moved up to 8 p.m.
- Only two QMJHL games are on Sportsnet’s released broadcast schedule, which goes until Jan. 28. The other game will be a Charlottetown-Cape Breton matchup at Centre 200 on Friday, Nov. 20.
- Mathieu Joseph has been named Saint John’s scholastic player of the month for October.
- The Sea Dogs’ Quebec road trip continues tonight in Drummondville and Saturday in Quebec City. Both are 8 p.m. starts. Friday’s game will air on TVA Sports 2.
Photo: Marc Henwood/Station Nation