Three power play goals propelled the Swedes to the win and a perfect 4-0 record in preliminary round play. This is hard to believe:
Last WJC where Sweden lost a round-robin game, Canada had Carey Price in net.— Szymon Szemberg (@Sz1909_Szemberg) December 31, 2015
Thomas Chabot assisted on Canada’s first goal, firing a shot from the point that created a rebound for Mitchell Stephens to put in. The Sea Dogs defensemen finished the game with one point, three shots and a +1 rating. He now has three assists in four games at this year’s tournament.
With regulation time losses to the United States and Sweden and needing a shootout against Switzerland, Canada finishes a disappointing third in Group A. They’ll face a very tough challenge in the quarterfinals on Saturday when they take on Finland at noon.
Finland posted a 5-4 victory over Jakub Zboril and the Czech Republic yesterday. The Czechs will face the United States tomorrow at 2 p.m. in the quarterfinals.
Former Sea Dogs forward Juraj Siska had four first period shots in Slovakia’s 2-1 loss to Russia. The Slovaks will face Sweden tomorrow and Russia will take on Denmark.
In other news…
- Le Journal de Montreal article on ThomasChabot.
- Last night’s crowd of 4,524 at Harbour Station was the biggest of the season. Sadly, it was the first time this season that Saint John has had a crowd over 4,000. As we wrote about last week, the Sea Dogs’ attendance is slightly up from last season.
- The Sea Dogs are 3-0-1-0 in their past four games – which is quite good when you consider the players they’ve been missing during that stretch.
- Saint John is back in action on Sunday when they visit Cape Breton at 3 p.m.
- This fight between Brett Gallant and Michael Sdao was named the fifth best fight of 2015 by HockeyFights.com/PuckDaddy.