Some stuff from last night’s game…
- The Sea Dogs picked up a valuable point last night, giving them 41 on the season. Shawinigan picked up a shootout win over Quebec last night and now sit 16th with 42 points. Charlottetown is 14th with 44 and Bathurst 15th with 42. Saint John has a game in-hand on all of them.
- Cape Breton was outshooting Saint John 27-14 heading into the third period.
- It was all Cape Breton in the first half of the second period. Following their goal just 14 seconds into the period, it looked like they were on the power play at times.
- Kelly Bent and Jeremy Beaudry each received roughing penalties at 10:27 of the second. The two were having a heated conversation on the way to the boxes and after they got into them. Nothing happened when they stepped out other than some taps by Bent to Beaudry’s legs.
- Clark Bishop left the game for a short time in the third after going down in some pain. He did return.
- Julien Pelletier’s goal at 2:30 of the third made it 3-0 Eagles and it looked like they would coast to a win. But the Sea Dogs produced an impressive comeback, scoring three goals in in less than five minutes to tie it up.
- Jason Cameron’s goal got the comeback started and he also assisted on Matthew Highmore’s game tying goal. It was an appropriate ending to one of the best months of his career. He had four goals and three assists in February, impressive for someone with 33 career points.
- The Sea Dogs took a couple of untimely penalties, one with 14 seconds left in the third and another at 3:37 of OT. They were able to kill off the first one but not the second.
- Jeremy Beaudry’ overtime goal was beautiful. Goaltender Alex Bureau picked up an assist on the coast-to-coast marker.
- Sebastien Auger was Sebastien Auger.
- Clark Bishop had two shorthanded breakaways in the game and was stopped on both.
- Irving gave out those folding clapper things at the door. Someone turned their clapper into a paper airplane and threw it in the third. The thing had some speed, too.
- The Sea Dogs were without forwards Joey Richard (shoulder), Stephen Anderson (upper body), and Lukas Walter (healthy) along with defensemen Michael Abbott (wrist), Olivier LeBlanc (upper body), and Sheehan Kirkwood (healthy).
SN Three Stars
3. Jason Cameron
2. Jeremy Beaudry
1. Clark Bishop
NEXT GAME: The Sea Dogs host the Screaming Eagles again tonight at 7pm.