Some stuff from last night’s game…
- The good news for Saint John is that Shawinigan and Sherbrooke both lost last night as well. The Sea Dogs remain one-point back of the Cataractes who hold the final playoff spot with five games to go.
- Entertaining game with a wild third period. Moncton jumped out to a 4-2 lead and then Saint John came back. But Garrett Johnston would score the winner with 1:35 to play to give the ‘Cats a 5-4 win.
- With Sebastien Auger pulled, the Sea Dogs had a couple of great chances to tie the game in the final minute but couldn’t beat Alex Dubeau.
- This was the final meeting of the regular season between the two rivals. The Sea Dogs went 3-6-0-0 against the Wildcats this season.
- Matthew Highmore was named second star with two goals and an assist.
- Jurij Repe had an eventful game. Along with posting a career high three assists, Stephen Seegar’s cross crease pass went off his stick and past Auger to give Moncton a 4-2 lead at the time.
- Saint John’s third goal came just after the Sea Dogs declined a fighting invitation.
- Highmore’s game tying goal came during a delayed penalty call. Saint John did a tremendous job at maintaining puck possession for roughly a minute and applied plenty of pressure in the offensive zone.
- Even though the Dogs couldn’t pull out a win, it’s great to see the team climb back from a two-goal third period deficit and not just mail it in.
- 4,475 at the game. Great atmosphere during the third period.
- The Sea Dogs were without forwards Joey Richard (shoulder), Stephen Anderson (upper body), and Lukas Walter (suspension) along with defensemen Michael Abbott (wrist), Jeremy Doucet (upper body), and Olivier LeBlanc (upper body).
- Ivan Barbashev did not play for Moncton due to injury.
NOTES: Sheehand Kirkwood returned from injury… Thomas Chabot had two assists… Will Thompson had three hits… Mark Simpson had six shots… plenty of Wildcat fans in the house… $3,981 went to the 50/50 winner.
SN Three Stars
3. Vladimir Tkachev’s goal
2. Matthew Highmore
1. The people who, for some reason, left the game early and emptied out the parking lot for when the game was actually over. Thanks.
NEXT GAME: The Sea Dogs play their final home game of the regular season on Saturday night against the Halifax Mooseheads.