Some news and notes from the first round of the NHL Draft…
- Gerard Gallant and the Florida Panthers, despite some trade talk, took the stage and used the first overall pick, selecting defenseman Aaron Ekblad.
- Following the draft, Ekblad told TSN that Jonathan Huberdeau texted him to welcome him to the team.
- Nikolaj Ehlers of the Halifax Mooseheads was the first and only QMJHL player taken in the first round going ninth overall to the Winnipeg Jets.
- Nine of the top 10 picks in the draft came from the CHL. CHL communications manager Paul Krotz tweeted, “#CHL players take 9 of the Top-10 #NHLDraft picks for the first time since 2010 and 1990, back in 1987 league had first 18 straight picks.”
- Surprising to see Moncton Wildcats forward Ivan Barbashev passed over in the first round. He’ll go early tomorrow.
- Real nice move by the Arizona Coyotes to mention scout Norm Gosselin who has passed away. Gosselin worked with the Sea Dogs from 2005 to 2009 before joining the Coyotes.
- Unlimited boos for Gary Bettman and pretty much everything not affiliated with Philadelphia.
- RIP to TSN’s draft coverage. It will be missed. Sportsnet takes over the show next year.
- Rounds two through seven go tomorrow beginning at 11 am on NHL Network.