FINAL: Saint John 3, Halifax 4
HALIFAX – The Saint John Sea Dogs did not make any changes to their lineup for Saturday’s contest in Halifax. Despite a hard fought effort, the Sea Dogs came up just short, dropping a 4-3 decision to the Mooseheads.
Benoit-Olivier Groulx picked up two goals while singles came from Cooper Jones and Arnaud Durandeau. Kevin Resop stopped 33 of the 36 shots he faced.
Sea Dogs goals came from Scorin’ John Warren, Gabriel Bettez and temporary captain Matthew Highmore. Alex Bishop kicked aside 23 of the 27 shots he faced.
- The Mooseheads held a moment of silence in memory of former Moosehead Dean Stock.
- Jones scored the first goal of the game just 53 seconds in - despite a couple big saves by Bishop in the sequence.
- A couple of first career QMJHL goals followed with John Warren picking up his first at 12:51 and, just 19 seconds later, Gabriel Bettez picked up his first as well.
- Groulx, the first overall pick in the 2016 QMJHL Entry Draft, picked up his first career QMJHL goal to even the game at 2-2 before the end of the period.
- Penalties played a huge role in the opening period, which included a combined total of 16 minors and four misconducts.
- Durandeau picked up the lone goal of the second period - despite the Sea Dogs outshooting the Moose 19-6 - at 11:33 on a wraparound that rode up and over Bishop.
- Groulx would add his second goal of the game at 13:53 of the third period, which would end up being the game-winning goal.
- Highmore did add a third goal for the Sea Dogs.
- Highmore also wore the “C” again tonight while Bailey Webster was the alternate.
- Then final shots in the game were 36-27 in favour of the Dogs. They are certainly getting shots to the net.
- The Sea Dogs introduced a new promotion with Papa John’s. Because they scored three goals, everyone gets 40% off pizzas online at Papajohns.com using promo code SEADOGS40.
Benoit-Olivier Groulx picking up his second goal of the game, giving the Mooseheads a 4-2 lead at the time. That would ultimately be the game-winning goal for the Moose.
SN PLAYERS OF THE GAME
Benoit-Olivier Groulx - his first two goals including the game winner
Joel Bishop - the guy was literally everywhere on the ice
Matthew Highmore - picked up a goal and busted his tail all night
TWEET OF THE GAME