SAINT JOHN – Nicolas Roy scored on a power play at 5:12 of double overtime to give the Chicoutimi Sagueneens a 3-2 win over the Saint John Sea Dogs on Saturday night at Harbour Station.
Chicoutimi scored three unanswered goals - the other two by the non-suspended Joey Ratelle - en route to handing the Sea Dogs their first loss of the 2017 playoffs. The win evens the semifinal series at 1-1.
Julia Billia had a strong night in the Chicoutimi net, making 52 saves.
Goal scorers for the Sea Dogs were Julien Gauthier and Matthew Highmore. Callum Booth was outstanding, stopping 51 of the 54 shots sent his way.
To the notes…
- The Sea Dogs got on the board first at 12:43 of the first period when Gauthier finished off a pretty two-on-one play with Spencer Smallman.
- Sea Dogs fans didn’t have to wait long for the next goal as Highmore buried a rebound past Billia just 33 seconds later to make it 2-0.
- The Sags came out hard to start the second period and scored a power play marker at 13:32 when Ratelle tapped home a loose puck
- Ratelle would even things at 2-2 with another power play marker. The puck went off the skate of Ratelle and by Booth at 15:39 of the third.
- The game would go all the way to double overtime. A penalty to Simon Bourque at 3:13 for delay of game led to another Chicoutimi power play goal, this time off the stick of Roy. The goal came with just one second remaining in the Bourque penalty.
- Prior to the game, it was announced by the league that Vincent Tremblay-Lapalme had been suspended one game for his hit on Simon Bourque. In a bit of a surprise, the league did not suspend Ratelle for his hit to the head of Mathieu Joseph.
- Chicoutimi ended the game 3/5 on the power play. Saint John was not given a single man advantage in 85:12 of game time.
SCRATCHESHere is tonight's Game #2 lineup for your #SJSeaDogs brought to you by @CantrburyDental #AlwaysWearYourMouthGuard pic.twitter.com/ZJp4P11CDP— Saint John Sea Dogs (@SJSeaDogs) April 22, 2017
There were no changes for the Sea Dogs as Oliver Felixson, Samuel Leblanc, David Comeau and Landon Quinney were scratched for this game.
The tough penalty to Simon Bourque which led to the game winner from Nicolas Roy.
SN PLAYERS OF THE GAME
1. Callum Booth
2. Julio Billia
3. Nicolas Roy
TWEET OF THE GAME
Bringing the donuts!
NEXT GAMEMy guy @Eags37 comes to town bearing gifts from @MrsDunsters prior to @SJSeaDogs and Sags @RTVNBSports at 7 pm. pic.twitter.com/AYm1MZaseA— Aaron Kennedy (@scoop88) April 22, 2017
The Sea Dogs travel to Chicoutimi for Games 3 and 4 this Tuesday and Wednesday. Game time is 8:30 p.m. for both contests.