Saturday, October 23, 2010


FINAL: Sea Dogs 5, Mooseheads 3

HALIFAX, NS – After a rough outing in Bathurst on Friday night, the Saint John Sea Dogs bounced back on Saturday.

Led by goals from Tomas Jurco, Stanislav Galiev, Danick Gauthier, Zach Phillips, and Jonathan Huberdeau, the Sea Dogs defeated the Halifax Mooseheads 5-3 in Quebec Major Junior Hockey League action at the Halifax Metro Centre.

A strong goaltending performance by Frederic Piche also helped things out as he stopped 29 of 32 shots for the win. Simon Despres recorded three assists.

The Mooseheads had goals from Andrew Ryan, Carl Gelinas, and Brent Andrews while Anthony Terenzio stopped 39-of-44 shots in the loss.

Saint John had a much better effort than they did in their 5-1 loss against the Acadie-Bathurst Titan on Friday night. The Sea Dogs defense was much, much better and helped guide the Dogs to their third road win of the year.

Zach Phillips had the first chance of the game early in the first. He let a one timer go through traffic from the circle but was denied by the pad of Anthony Terenzio in the Mooseheads crease.

The Sea Dogs were called for too many men at 4:06. On the power play, Matthew Boudreau was stopped in close and it produced a huge scramble in the crease. The puck came out to Martin Frk who let a shot go that was stopped by the leg of Frederic Piche.

Saint John opened the scoring at 7:31 after Guillaume Cloutier riffled a point shot. The puck produced a short rebound in front where Tomas Jurco batted it by Terenzio to make it 1-0.

Not long after at 9:06, Sawyer Hannay leveled Stanislav Galiev from behind. The Sea Dogs got the extra attacker on the ice and started to pour the pressure on.Nathan Beaulieu sent a pass down low to Michael Kirkpatrick who let a shot go. The puck then sat in crease before Galiev found it and scored to make it a 2-0 game.

The Sea Dogs went to the power play at 12:36 but the Sea Dogs could not get any offense generated.

After Piche denied Frk on a partial break, Jason Cameron was stopped by the pad of Terenzio on a quality scoring opportunity.

The Sea Dogs went back to the power play at 17:58 with Travis Randell in the box. Kirkpatrick had the best chance when he fanned on a one time shot in the crease. With the man advantage over, Tomas Jurco let a onetimer from the circle go but the puck somehow stayed out.

Shots in the period were 17-9 Saint John.

Andrew Ryan got the Mooseheads on the board just 57 seconds in. Ryan shot the puck from a sharp angle but was stopped by Piche. He picked up his own rebound and walked through the crease to get his fourth of the season and make it a 2-1 game.

But on yet another delayed penalty call, Kirkpatrick shot the puck right on but Terenzio let go another rebound. Danick Gauthier found the puck and backhanded it by the Moose netminder to give the Sea Dogs their two goal lead back.

The Sea Dogs had some solid scoring chances following the goal. Kirkpatrick let go a good shot at the side of the net and then Huberdeau cut through the crease but couldn’t get a shot off. The Sea Dogs forward was given a questionable goaltender interference call on the play but Saint John would kill it off.

Saint John went to the power play at 9:11 but they could not score. Then Ryan was called for slashing at 13:06 but the Dogs could not find the back of the net once again despite some pressure.

After Stephen MacAulay had a decent scoring chance on a hard wrist shot, the Sea Dogs would go to the penalty kill when Gauthier tripped Frk at 15:31. Frk had the best scoring opportunity during the span but was robbed by the pads of Piche.

After Frk hit the crossbar at 19:42, Beaulieu threw him onto the ice and would be called for roughing. When the buzzer sounded, MacAulay was called for slashing to give the Moose a lengthy two man advantage to open the third.

Shots in the middle stanza were 14-13 Saint John.

The Mooseheads made it a 3-2 game just 45 seconds into the two-man power play. Carl Gelinas banged in a Piche rebound at the side of the net to cut Saint John’s lead to one goal.

Jonathan Huberdeau had a good scoring chance when he got through the Halifax defense. He tried to get a shot off but had his stick lifted at the last minute. Halifax came back the other way and almost tied the affair when a shot went straight through the crease with Piche having no knowledge of where the puck was. Then Gelinas had a partial break for the Herd but was stopped.

Charles Bety and MacAulay ran hard into the end boards close to the halfway point of the frame. Bety had to be helped off the ice and went straight to the dressing room.

The Sea Dogs got their two goal lead back once again at 7:33. Pierre Durepos made a nice play at the line to keep the puck in. He then sent a beautiful cross ice pass down low to Phillips who had a wide open cage to make it a 4-2 game.

Saint John really took over the play until Galiev was given a questionable interference call at 14:06. On the man advantage, a Frk shot was stopped by Piche but the rebound sat at the lip of the crease. Brent Andrews found it and beat the Saint John goaltender five-hole to make it 4-3.

But at 16:05, Huberdeau entered the zone and shot the disc from a bad angle, beating Terenzio between the pads to make it a 5-3 final.

Shots in the final frame were 13-10 for the visitors.

The Mooseheads were 2/6 on the power play while the Sea Dogs were 0/4.

NOTES: See Sea Dogs Postscript tomorrow.

NEXT GAME: The Sea Dogs travel to Val-d’Or on Wednesday to face the Foreurs at 8:30 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment