Some stuff from last night’s game…
- Well, the Sea Dogs have now lost seven straight games and have a record of 5-10-0-1. They still have one more game on this Quebec road trip to play before heading home for a three-game home stretch.
- Meanwhile, Baie-Comeau has won six straight. They sit second overall in the league and are closing in on the first-place Blainville-Boisbriand Armada.
- Joey Richard had Saint John’s only goal. It was his third of the season and first since his two goal game on October 6th in Bathurst – Saint John’s last win.
- Felix Girard received a checking to the head game misconduct at the end of the second period for a hit on Noah Zilbert. Zilbert would be okay. The Sea Dogs got a long power play out of the penalty but could not score or generate that many chances.
- Alexander McQuaid received an instigator for his fight against Gabriel Verpaelst in the second period. It was McQuaid’s second fight of the regular season.
- Jason Cameron made a big time shot block in the final seconds of the first period. He was helped to the bench by Sea Dogs athletic therapist JP Laciak and limped to the dressing room. He would return for the second period.
- Matthew Highmore’s assist on Richard’s goal was his first point since October 16th.
- Sebastien Auger, man. The netminder made 30 saves and was named first start in this game. He did an unreal job and gave the Dogs a good chance to win. Auger has made 30 or more saves in 11 of his 13 starts this season.
- It was 'Pink in the Rink' night in Baie-Comeau so the Drakkar wore pink jerseys.
- Sea Dogs scratches were forwards Connor Donaghey (healthy) and Marcus Cuomo (hand) along with defensemen Thomas Chabot (healthy) and Will Thompson (upper body).
- Goaltender Maxime Michaud, who the Sea Dogs recalled earlier this week, was also scratched. Backup Antoine Landry returned to the team after missing Wednesday’s match due to a death in his family.
NOTES: This was one of those special Telus games so the broadcast was the quality you would expect for the price it costs. Also had a real deal scoreboard… Matthew Highmore had four shots… Jeremy Doucet had three hits… Sea Dogs won only 20 of 54 faceoffs… Auger was given a roughing penalty near the end of the first period.
Photo: Drakkar Facebook page