Some news and notes from yesterday’s game…
- Plenty of penalties in the first period as each team took five infractions. At the end of the game, Saint John would go 1-for-7 on the power play and Chicoutimi 1-for-5.
- If you haven’t seen Nathan Noel fighting Nicolas Roy.
- Speaking of Noel, his assist on Spencer Smallman’s first period goal was his first point since October 6th – which also happens to be the last time Saint John won a game.
- Smallman’s goal gave him goals in back-to-back games after also scoring in Saturday’s 5-2 loss to the Quebec Remparts. He now has four goals and two assists for six points on the year, matching his point total from last year.
- Matthew Highmore had eight shots in this game. He sits fourth in the league in shots with 66.
- The Sea Dogs have now lost five straight and are 3-7 in their last 10. They have fallen to 5-8-0-1 on the year and sit last in the Maritimes Division and 16th overall. They are only one point ahead of the 17th place Sherbrooke Phoenix who have played one more game than Saint John.
- The Sea Dogs have scored a total of five goals during their losing streak. Sherbrooke, of all teams, had five in a period yesterday. True story.
- Defenseman Jurij Repe made his season debut after missing all of training camp and the start of the regular season with a hand injury. He was a -1 with one hit.
- How about Chicoutimi’s schedule? This was their third game in three nights in fourth in five. They played in Rimouski on Wednesday, Bathurst Friday, Charlottetown Saturday, and Saint John Sunday.
- Sea Dogs scratches were forwards Marcus Cuomo (hand), Juraj Siska (back), and Mackenzie Brown (healthy) along with defensemen Will Thompson (upper body) and Alexander McQuaid (healthy).
NEXT GAME: The Sea Dogs begin a three-game road trip in Quebec on Wednesday night in Drummondville.