CHICOUTIMI, Que. – Mackenzie Brown left last night’s game and did not return after taking this hit from Chicoutimi’s Jeremy Carignan in the first period.
Get your tickets now to see Sugar Sammy.
Carignan received a five-minute major and game misconduct for checking to the head. Unfortunately, Saint John was unable to cash in on the man advantage.
Some other stuff from last night’s game…
- The Sea Dogs were down 2-1 entering the final minute of the game but Oliver Cooper scored after a Stephen Anderson shot produced a rebound. This happened with Sebastien Auger on the bench and 44 seconds remaining. Clutch.
- Nathan Noel was the only Sea Dog to score in the shootout. He now has two shootout goals in three attempts this year.
- Chicoutimi has 10 wins this season with four of them coming in overtime and one in a shootout.
- If you haven’t heard, the Sea Dogs have now lost eight straight (0-7-0-1) games. They went 0-2-0-1 on this Quebec road trip with all three loses being one-goal games. There are certainly some positives to take away from this trip.
- Sebastien Sylvestre was in beast mode for the Sags, getting a handful of really good scoring chances. He finished the game with a goal, a shootout goal, and eight shots.
- With Cooper scoring and Olivier LeBlanc picking up a goal and an assist, Michael Abbott, LeBlanc, and Cooper all have 12 points on the year to lead the team.
- It was ‘Pink in the Rink’ night in Chicoutimi so the Sags wore pink jerseys.
- Was a bit surprising to see Sebastien Auger get the start again with this being Saint John’s third road game in four days and second in less than 24 hours. But it was a good call as Auger was very good in this game, making 42 saves and earning second star honours.
- This was the fifth time this season that Auger faced 40 or more shots in a game. He has an above .900 save percentage in all of those games.
- Saint John once again got a lot of shots on net (40) but just couldn’t score a lot of goals. The Dogs are 4-6-0-2 when being out shot by their opponent.
- The Sea Dogs were without defensemen Michael Abbott (upper body) and Will Thompson (upper body) along with forwards Noah Zilbert (upper body) and Marcus Cuomo (hand). Goaltender Maxime Michaud was also scratched once again.
NOTES: First overall pick Nicolas Roy had an assist. He did not fight Nathan Noel again… David Weckworth and Stephen Anderson each had six shots… Olivier LeBlanc had three hits… Sea Dogs have lost four straight on the road… Saint John plays their next three games at home… Spencer Smallman has two goals and two assists in his past five games.
NEXT GAME: The Sea Dogs host the Moncton Wildcats on Friday night at 7:30pm.