Crossley, Halifax’s top pick in this summer’s QMJHL Entry Draft, scored on his first shot and helped guide the Mooseheads to a 3-2 pre-season victory over Saint John last night.
Felt great to score one today. First shot, first goal #onetoremember
— Brett Crossley (@BrettCrossley19) August 17, 2014
Brandon Vuic and Jacob Jacques also scored for the Moose while Stefano Pezzetta scored both Saint John goals.
Some other assorted thoughts and tidbits from the opening weekend of pre-season play…
- If the Sea Dogs are trying to build a tougher team this season, this weekend’s games showed that they appear to be succeeding. The Dogs didn’t shy away from physical play in either game.
- Saint John didn’t generate a whole lot offensively on Saturday night, especially in the first period when they were outshot 15-5. But, as noted in the game recap, there were plenty of key offensive players not in the lineup.
- Stefano Pezzetta, the 19-year old forward who played in two games with the OHL’s Owen Sound Attack last season, just keeps scoring goals. He had three goals this weekend and, when including scrimmages, has to be nearing double digits during his time at camp.
- The Green twins both played on Saturday and looked decent. Luke Green can really fly. Both saw some time on the power play as well.
- Greg Leland and Jeff Cowan ran the Sea Dogs bench again on Saturday.
- Alexander McQuaid, Kelly Bent, and Marcus Cuomo each wore and “A” on their sweater last night.
- Speaking of Cuomo, he placed an ugly looking check from behind on Timo Meier in the second period. The hit came moments after Meier placed a big open ice hit on a Sea Dog. Fortunately, everyone would be okay and Cuomo only got two minutes for the hit along with a roughing minor. Meier was given four minutes for spearing.
- Chris Smith replaced Tommy Viboux halfway through the game and made a few nice saves to give the Sea Dogs a chance.
- The battle for the backup goaltending position isn’t getting a whole lot of attention but it’s an interesting one. Curious to see what the team does there.
- Early in the second, Saint John did a great job at killing off a lengthy five-on-three only to give up an even strength goal a few minutes later. That made it 3-0 and proved to be the winner.
- Thought Julien Tessier had a good pair of games this weekend.
- Quite a few Sea Dogs fans in the building. The Dogs dressed six Nova Scotians.
- The Dartmouth Sportsplex is a solid building for a pre-season game. It’s a typical sportsplex with a rink, walking track around the top of the seating bowl, indoor pool attached, etc. The pool features a giant pirate ship which is sweet.
- Some interesting menu items at the Sportsplex, including grilled cheese sandwiches.
- The Sportsplex’s roof could use a paint job.
- This was apparently the earliest Mooseheads pre-season game in history. Truly honoured to have witnessed it.
- Have to think some cuts are coming very soon.
- Great crowd on Friday night at the Station - and they were treated to a good game. Hopefully a sign of things to come.
- Amazing how many non-Sea Dogs fans/followers comment on how great it is that the team has name's on their jerseys for pre-season games and scrimmages.
- The Sea Dogs will play the Mooseheads twice next weekend. On Friday the two meet at Harbour Station and on Saturday they face each other in Truro.