Saturday, February 25, 2017

RECAP: Sea Dogs 3-2 (OT)

FINAL: Saint John 2, Cape Breton 3
Kevin Chambers | SN Staff

SYDNEY, NS – The Saint John Sea Dogs blew a late lead and fell 3-2 in overtime to the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles on Friday night at Centre 200.

The Sea Dogs held control of much of the game but, after a major penalty, the Eagles took over, scoring two power play goals in the third period and then winning the match in extra time.

Goal scorers for the Sea Dogs were Matt Green and Cole Reginato while Callum Booth took the OT loss, stopping 19 of 22 shots.

Answering for the Screaming Eagles were Ross MacDougall, Leon Gawanke and Giovanni Fiore. Kyle Jessiman picked up the win for the Screaming Eagles, making 25 saves.

To the notes…

  • The Sea Dogs got on the board first just 29 seconds into the game when Green had the puck go off his skate and in. The goal was reviewed and ruled a goal.
  • Reginato extended the Sea Dogs' lead at 11:00 of the second period, making a deke around Jessiman to make it 2-0 Saint John.
  • Thomas Chabot took a five-minute major and a game misconduct at 11:14 of the third period - and the Sea Dogs seemed to unravel from there.
  • First it was MacDougall getting the Eagles on the board with a power play marker at 14:56 of the third, wristing a shot from the point that found its way through a crowd.
  • The Eagles then pulled Jessiman while on another power play and, at 18:01, Gawanke hammered a shot that beat Booth, sending this game to overtime.
  • The Eagles ended the game in OT at 1:46 when Phelix Maritneau flicked a shot towards the net. Fiore was able to pick it up and beat Booth to complete the comeback win for the Eagles.
  • Green now has 13 points more than his first two seasons combined (12).
  • Prior to the game, word out of the NHL saw former Sea Dog and Memorial Cup champion Tomas Jurco traded to the Chicago Blackhawks for a third-round pick.
  • Landon Quinney made his return to the lineup after missing several games with an upper body injury.

The Sea Dogs were without Julien Gauthier (upper body), Matthew Highmore (upper body), Samuel Leblanc and John Warren (upper body).

Highmore and Gauthier continue to deal with injuries - although neither is thought to be serious at this point.

Thomas Chabot’s five-minute major for checking to the head. The Sea Dogs were in complete control for the entire game - until this pivotal moment.

Olivier Leblanc
Giovanni Fiore
Samuel Dove-McFalls

The Sea Dogs return to Harbour Station on Sunday afternoon, facing the Halifax Mooseheads at 3 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment