BAIE-COMEAU, Que. – The Saint John Sea Dogs completed the sweep of their Quebec road trip on Sunday, picking up a 4-1 win over the Baie-Comeau Drakkar
The win gives the Sea Dogs three wins in as many days and extends their winning streak to four games.
Goal scorers for the Sea Dogs on Sunday were Thomas Chabot, Nathan Noel, Joe Veleno and Simon Bourque. Alex D’Orio was very good for the Dogs, stopping 23 of 24 shots.
Replying for the Drakkar was Gabriel Fortier while Antoine Samuel was solid in net, making 32 saves.
To the notes…
- The Sea Dogs picked up the lone goal of the first period at 19:41. After making a beautiful toe drag around a Drakkar defender, Chabot fired a wrist shot past Samuel to give the Dogs a 1-0 lead after one period.
- The second period didn’t wait as long for a goal as the Sea Dogs would strike just 1:15 in. Noel was able to find an opening from a bad angle to make it 2-0 Dogs.
- Veleno extended Saint John's lead to 3-0 at 5:29 of the middle frame, hammering home a one time shot past Samuel after some furious pressure by the Dogs.
- The Drakkar got one goal on a major power play chance when Fortier beat out the hybrid icing call and tapped the bounce off the boards by a somewhat surprised D’Orio.
- Bourque would lock it down at 17:26 of the third when he took a slap shot from his own goal line, catching Samuel on his way to the bench.
- In the second period, Spencer Smallman went crashing into a goal post and did not return.
- There was a scary moment late in the second period when Kyle Ward delivered a hit to Christopher Benoit. The Drakkar forward had to be taken out on a stretcher. Ward was given a five-minute major for interference and the play will no doubt be reviewed by the league for a possible suspension.
- Every player that recorded points for the Sea Dogs earned two points - except Chabot who had three.
- Chabot now has 142 career points, 10 shy of the Sea Dogs franchise defencemen scoring record held by Nathan Beaulieu.
- According to his son on Twitter, Sea Dofs head coach Danny Flynn picked up his 300th career QMJHL win in this game.
- The Drakkar held a short ceremony prior to the game, recognizing Bokondji Imama for his time as a member of the Drakkar.
SCRATCHESHere is today's lineup for your #SJSeaDogs brought to you by @CanterDental #AlwaysWearYourMouthGuard pic.twitter.com/9myjWuz2jz— Saint John Sea Dogs (@SJSeaDogs) February 19, 2017
The Sea Dogs were without Julien Gauthier (upper body), Chase Stewart (upper body), Landon Quinney (upper body), and John Warren (upper body).
Julien Gauthier was expected to take the warmup but did not. He was a late scratch once again with what is believed to be a minor injury.
Nathan Noel scoring early in the second period. The goal proved to be the eventual game winning goal and gave the Sea Dogs a lot of momentum in the second period.
SN PLAYERS OF THE GAME
1. Thomas Chabot
2. Nathan Noel
3. Antoine Samuel
TWEET OF THE GAME
300 career wins for Danny Flynn, as per his son.
NEXT GAME@SJSeaDogs #300 in @QMJHL wins for Dad, even sweeter it comes in last game of 3 in 3 on Que swing #DanTheMan— Flynner (@BMF14) February 20, 2017
The Sea Dogs return to Harbour Station this Wednesday night to face the Acadie-Bathurst Titan. Game time is 7 p.m. Texting gloves will be given out at the door.