SYDNEY, NS – In a much different outcome than their last meeting, the Saint John Sea Dogs dominated the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles on Saturday afternoon at Centre 200, winning 7-0 to extend their winning streak to seven games.
Their last meeting was also high scoring but ended in a 7-6 Screaming Eagles victory.
The goal scorers for the Sea Dogs were Mathieu Joseph (two), Joe Veleno, Jakub Zboril, Simon Bourque, Julien Gauthier and Samuel Dove-McFalls. Callum Booth picked up his second shutout as a Sea Dog, stopping all 17 shots he faced.
Taking the loss for the Screaming Eagles was Kevin Mandolese who was certainly the busier of the two netminders, making 26 saves in the loss.
To the notes…
- Veleno would get the Sea Dogs on the board first at 6:50 of the opening period by banging home a rebound just as a power play was about to expire.
- The Sea Dogs extended their lead to 2-0 at 17:07, capitalizing on a five-on-three opportunity when Zboril hammered one time shot past Mandolese.
- Bourque notched the only goal of the second period, putting a wrist shot on goal that found it’s way past Mandolese at 4:17. That made it 3-0 Saint John.
- The Sea Dogs got off to a quick start in the third period when Gauthier tipped a shot past Mandolese just 1:21 in, making it 4-0 Sea Dogs.
- Joseph would then pick up his first of the night, jumping on his own rebound and firing it past Mandolese to make it 5-0 at 4:41.
- Joseph would find the back of the net again at 11:50 after weaving his way through three Eagle. That would make it 6-0 for the Dogs.
- Dove-McFalls would cap off the seven-goal night by finishing off a two-on-one rush with Veleno at 12:18 of the third.
- Thomas Chabot (upper body) and Joseph (suspension) returned to the lineup.
- A couple notables missing for Cape Breton were former Sea Dogs captain Olivier LeBlanc who was injured last night and Drake Batherson who was very good when the Eagles visited Saint John recently.
- Joseph extended his franchise record point streak to 26 games. Joseph also picked up his 30th and 31st goals of the season while picking up his 100th career assist.
- Gauthier scored a goal and picked up three helpers on the night.
- Thomas Chabot picked up two assists and has moved past Simon Despres into third all time in franchise scoring for defencemen.
- With 7:34 to play in the second period, Chase Stewart attempted to lower the boom on Kyle McGrath. The Eagles' winger avoided the hit but Stewart destroyed the glass at the Sea Dogs penalty box. Kudos to the Centre 200 staff for only taking about 10 minutes to clean up and replace the glass.
SCRATCHESHere is your Sea Dogs lineup for today's contest against the @CBSEHockey #PortCityRise pic.twitter.com/LvHhfMorkv— Saint John Sea Dogs (@SJSeaDogs) February 4, 2017
The Sea Dogs were without Samuel Leblanc, David Comeau, Matt Green, Landon Quinncey and John Warren.
Joe Veleno’s opening goal set the stage for the entire contest.
SN PLAYERS OF THE GAME
1. Julien Gauthier
2. Mathieu Joseph
3. Callum Booth
TWEET OF THE GAME
Former Sea Dogs forward Mackenzie Brown and Tim Roszell discuss the last time there was a glass incident.
NEXT GAME@TimGRoszell I remember that one! Wonder who did that..— Mackenzie Brown (@mackb09) February 4, 2017
The Sea Dogs close out their Maritime road swing with a stop in Bathurst to face the Titan this Wednesday at 7 p.m.