SAINT JOHN – The Saint John Sea Dogs are hitting the road with a 2-0 series lead in their first round playoff matchup with the Rimouski Oceanic.
The Sea Dogs defeated the Oceanic 4-1 in Game 2 on Saturday night at Harbour Station. The game was close for much of the contest - unlike Game 1 - but the Sea Dogs pressed in the third period and secured the victory.
Games three and four of the series will be held in Rimouski next week. It will return to Saint John for Game 5, if needed.
Goal scorers for the Sea Dogs were Thomas Chabot (two), Bokondji Imama and Mathieu Joseph. Callum Booth was excellent when called upon, stopping 17 shots.
Replying for the Oceanic was Tyler Boland while Alexandre Lagace had a nice bounce back game, stopping 32 shots and keeping the Oceanic in it for much of the contest.
To the notes…
- Imama got the Dogs on the board first at 5:09 of the opening period, jamming home a loose puck rebound in front of Lagace.
- Boland picked up his first goal of the playoffs later in the first period. After picking up his own rebound, Boland slid the puck past Booth at 16:21 to tie it at 1-1.
- Chabot got the lead back for the Sea Dogs with a shorthanded marker at 5:47 of the second period, firing a point shot that was deflected off an Oceanic player and fluttered over Lagace.
- Joseph provided a much needed insurance marker at 13:33 of the third period with a wrap around move that he was able to finish off, giving the Sea Dogs a 3-1 advantage.
- Saint John sealed the victory when Chabot launched a shot from just in front of the Sea Dogs goal and into an empty at 19:44, making it a 4-1 final.
- Rimouski's Maxime Trepanier took a heavy hit from Chase Stewart in the second period and did not return.
- The Sea Dogs' power play failed to connect for the second straight game, going 0-for-3. It is now 0-for-5 in the series.
- Chabot is currently tied with Frederic Allard (Chicoutimi) for the most points by a defenceman in the playoffs with five in two games.
SCRATCHESHere is tonight's lineup for your #SJSeaDogs brought to you by @CantrburyDental #AlwaysWearYourMouthguard pic.twitter.com/2p360KbrCr— Saint John Sea Dogs (@SJSeaDogs) March 25, 2017
Jakub Zboril (upper body), John Warren (upper body) and Oliver Felixson were unable to play. Samuel Leblanc and Landon Quinney were healthy scratches.
The Oceanic hung around most of the game but Mathieu Joseph’s insurance marker in the third created some breathing room for the Sea Dogs in a period they dominated.
SN PLAYERS OF THE GAME
1. Thomas Chabot
2. Callum Booth
3. Boko Imama
TWEET OF THE GAME
Found a couple Dog fans.
NEXT GAMEGame 2 of the first round of playoffs with this Old Pup! 🐶🏒 @SJSeaDogs #PortCityRise #Playoff #Hockey *; pic.twitter.com/8Xg7xSzMYA— Dee in Apt Three ♡ (@MissDelaney05) March 25, 2017
The Sea Dogs travel to Rimouski for Game 3 on Tuesday night. Game time is 8:30 p.m.