Sunday, September 17, 2017

Something to prove

By Craig Eagles | Special to SN

What did you do this summer?

Cedric Pare had something to prove.

The Boston Bruins sixth-round selection worked extremely hard over the summer months and is now anxiously awaiting the start of main camp.

“I was in the gym five days a week for two hours, I worked all summer to get ready for my season and Bruins camp,” said Pare.

The Bruins organization keyed in on Pare’s skating as one area that needed to improve.

“They told me to work on my explosiveness, and build strength and that’s what I focused on all summer,” added Pare. “I power skated three times a week, and followed a nutritional plan, that’s helped me a lot this off season,” Pare said.

Pare thoroughly enjoyed the B’s Development Camp in July and credits that experience with added incentive for the off-season.

“I really saw what I need to do to become a professional, from a nutrition plan, stretching, and what I needed to work on and improve during the summer,” explained Pare.

Don Sweeney’s main directive from the beginning of his tenure as GM has been to draft well and develop players. A subtle but key addition to the Bruins organization was Jamie Langenbrunner. The two-time Stanley Cup Champion joined the Bruins organization in September 2015 as the Player Development Coordinator.

“Jamie is a good guy, he knows what all the players need to work on, he’s fun to talk to and knows the game very well,” Pare said. “The Bruins have given me a lot of feedback and they are very close with their players. We have a lot fun with the coaches on and off the ice,” explained Pare.

Pare wants to make a great impression at main camp and to continue to build on the momentum from a great off season and solid performance at Development Camp and Prospects Challenge Tournament this past week.

“I’m expecting a competitive camp with a lot speed. I’m going to play my game and have some fun,” said Pare.

Pare played both forward positions last year under then Sea Dogs head coach Danny Flynn but found himself on the wing during the Bruins Prospect Challenge.

“I played centre for the last few years, the organization knows that, I’m good at face-offs, but I can play wing to,” said Pare.

The 6’2, 200 pounder isn’t putting any added pressure on himself, entering his first NHL camp or for the upcoming QMJHL season.

“I just want to make a good impression to the entire staff both on and off the ice,” Pare said.

It’s clear that Pare’s experience on a veteran Sea Dogs championship team has certainly helped his progression as a player and person.

“I’m not putting pressure on myself, just because I got drafted.

“If I have any pressure its going to be self-imposed, because I’m one of the leaders this season and that’s what I’m focusing on,” stressed Pare.

Pare credits Flynn with helping him along the way.

“Danny was a good coach, as a young player he worked on certain aspects of my game that helped me,” Pare said.

The Pintendre, Que. product is entering his third season in the Port City and realizes how special last season was but is looking forward to the challenges that lie ahead in 2017-18.

“I’m excited about the team that we are going to have this season.

“I think it’s going to be a year of challenges, we aren’t the same team as last year, but we are going to have pretty good team with a lot of good guys.

“I’m excited to work with Josh, he’s a good guy and coach,” added Pare.

It’s clear the only thing that Cedric Pare has to prove is that he belongs at the next level.

Yours in hockey, Craig.

Craig Eagles is a colour commentator with Rogers TV New Brunswick's QMJHL broadcasts. He is also the host of Rogers TV's Sports Inclusive. You can read more of his work on LinkedIn.

No comments:

Post a Comment