The Phoenix begin a three-in-three Maritime road swing tonight in Halifax. They play in Saint John tomorrow and in Bathurst on Sunday. Sherbrooke sits 16th overall in the league – the final playoff spot – with a 13-27-2-4 record. They’re four points up on the 17th-place Cape Breton Screaming Eagles and have two games in hand.
The Sea Dogs sit six points ahead of the Phoenix in the standings with a 19-27-0-0 record.
Sherbrooke beat Saint John 3-0 on January 13. The Sea Dogs are 1-1-0-0 against the Phoenix this season.
The Sea Dogs hit the road for Quebec next week. They won’t play again at the Station until February 7 against the PEI Rocket.
Not a whole lot going on today. Here’s some random stuff:
- Jonathan Huberdeau’s fifth NHL game will be tomorrow night against the Philadelphia Flyers. If he plays a sixth (Tuesday against Tampa Bay), a year of his entry-level contract will be burned.
- Zack Phillips was a healthy scratch for the AHL’s Houston Aeros the other night. Hockey Wilderness breaks down what this may mean. Phillips is having a decent rookie pro year, registering two goals and 11 assists in 37 games.
- Simon Despres could be on the trading block, writes Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review.
- Yann Sauve was sent down to the ECHL’s Kalamazoo Wings on Wednesday from the AHL’s Chicago Wolves. Sauve hasn’t played with the Wolves since December 7 because of an injury. He’ll join Steven Anthony on the K-Wings.
- If you’re looking for some hockey to watch tonight, there is a big game in Fredericton between the UNB Varsity Reds and the Saint Mary’s Huskies. With just five games left in the regular season, UNB is first in the AUS with 36 points while Saint Mary’s is second with 34. Game time is 7pm at the Aitken Centre.
- Remember to use your season ticket holder Sea Dogs Styles gift card this weekend if you haven’t already. It expires January 31.