Friday, January 10, 2020

Sea Dogs sign MacDonald

SYDNEY, NS - Even with the trade period over, the Saint John Sea Dogs announced a significant roster move on Friday.

In a move that has long been speculated, the Sea Dogs signed free agent forward Anderson MacDonald. The 19-year-old became a free agent after not signing with the Gatineau Olympiques, the team that picked him up off waivers from the Acadie-Bathurst Titan this week.

MacDonald, the 10th overall pick in the 2016 QMJHL Entry Draft, will play for his fourth team in his QMJHL career. He made his Sea Dogs debut on Friday night in Sydney.

“I have always dreamed of being a Sea Dog and playing in my hometown,” said MacDonald. “I want this more than anything. I’ll be surrounded by family and friends, and I know that I can help this team win. I believe this is where I can be my best. I am very grateful to the Sea Dogs organization, the coaches, and the players for welcoming me. I will not disappoint them. Putting that sweater on is a dream come true.”

The Quispamsis native, whether true or not, has been labelled by many throughout his QMJHL career as a non-team player and a problem in the dressing room. He has never been able to reach his full potential. Last spring, MacDonald opened up about those rumours, explaining to Rogers TV's Craig Eagles about his battle with ADHD, anxiety and depression.

“I knew I was ruining my life and my dreams,” MacDonald told Eagles. “I couldn’t figure out what the hell I was doing.

 “I was lost, my family was lost.

 “Everyone would ask me, ‘do you even want to play anymore,’ that would make me cry, because I really did.”

Here's hoping playing in his hometown will benefit MacDonald. He was a star with the Saint John Vito's, helping the team nearly win the Telus Cup on home ice in 2016.

“Anderson actually came to us. He expressed how much he wanted to be a Sea Dog,” said president and general manager Trevor Georgie in a news release. “Both he and we believe that if he is to ever reach his potential, it is playing here, at home, for the team that he has always wanted to play for. He is a scoring winger who augments our already potent offense with some size and scoring. He will be held to a high standard on and off the ice, and our expectations for him are simple: be a good citizen, have fun playing hockey, and help us win.”

In 174 career QMJHL games, MacDonald has 78 goals and 48 assists. This season, he's recorded 15 goals and 13 assists in 34 games with the Titan.

No comments:

Post a Comment