Friday, October 19, 2012

RECAP: Back To .500. Dogs Win 4-3.

FINAL: Saint John 4, Chicoutimi 3 (SO)
By Tim Lumsden
SN Staff

The Saint John Sea Dogs travelled to Chicoutimi to take on the Sagueneens on Friday night. This was the second of three away games for the Sea Dogs.

Protecting the nets tonight were Sebastien Auger for Saint John and Francis Desrosiers for Chicoutimi.

Marcus Cuomo almost slid the puck past Desrosiers at 3:15 but couldn’t quite make it through as the Chicoutimi goalie denied Cuomo the goal.

Chicoutimi took the first penalty of the game as the puck went up and over the glass at 6:29. Silas Neeposh went to the box, sending Saint John on the powerplay.

Jason Seed used the advantage to score his first regular season goal as a Sea Dog thanks to assists from Jonathan Huberdeau and Kevin Gagne

Steven Duda was sent off the ice for a tripping call at 8:28.

Following the Sea Dogs lead, Chicoutimi turned their power play into a goal as Laurent Dauphin scored their first of the game, bringing the score to 1-1.

Huberdeau got taken down and Jeremy Gregoire took a seat in the box for roughing at 10:04. Saint John went on the power play, hoping to take the lead.

Marcus Cuomo was sent off the ice for slashing at 16:00, once again, sending Chicoutimi to the power play. Lots of action took place in front of the Sea Dogs’ net but Auger remained steady and strong, denying all attempts to score during the Cuomo penalty.

Simon Tremblay and Jonathan Huberdeau did a little dance as the whistle went. Both were sent off for roughing at 19:28.

The first period was pretty much an equal match. There was a lot of energy and some great effort from both teams. Shots on goal were 11-9 for the Sagueneens.

Chicoutimi started the second period off with a bang.  Gabriel Gagnon scored the Sags’ second goal at 2:28.

Nice try at 3:59 by Jonathan Huberdeau, but he just could not slip it by Desrosiers.

Guillaume Asselin headed off for hooking at 11:16, allowing Saint John to go on their first power play of the period.

Philippie Archambault took a seat in the box for interference at 15:20. A very upset Noah Zilbert was sent off for slashing to join him.

Jonathan Huberdeau decided it was time to tie the game 2-2 as he finally broke through Desrosier’s defenses at 16:35 and scored an unassisted goal.

There was a huge rumble in front of Auger with 2:11 left in the period. Devon Oliver-Dares and Simon Tremblay headed to the box followed by Jeremy Gregoire. Somehow, Oliver-Dares got two roughing penalties out of that.

Jurij Repe was the next Dog to be handed a penalty. This time, he would be sent off for elbowing at 18:22. Shortly after, Lukas Sedlak would even things out as he was sent off for holding.

The score would stay 2-2 after two periods. The Dogs really upped the pressure that period with 12 shots on goal while Chicoutimi only had 6 shots. The total shots on goal after two periods were 21-17 for Saint John.

Michael Gagnon took a roughing penalty at 2:30 giving Saint John yet another chance to take the lead in a very heated game.

Noah Zilbert headed off again, this time taking a penalty for Slashing at 4:44.

Another big rumble then took place, this time around the centre line. Steven Duda and Alexandre Roy were escorted off the ice for roughing calls at the midway point of the period.

David Weckworth received a tripping penalty at 12:21.

There was a lot of pressure being applied by both teams during the last five minutes of the game. Fans in Chicoutimi really made a lot of noise.

Jason Cameron and Marcus Cuomo headed to the penalty box for the Dogs while Samuel Benoit and Mathieu Gagnon headed off for Chicoutimi. Roughing penalties were handed out to all four players at 15:54.

Jakub Izacky scored his first goal as a Sea Dog. This gave Saint John the lead 3-2 at 15:59. He was assisted by Devon Oliver-Dares.

Yet another brawl broke out, this time in front of Sebastien Auger. When the smoke cleared, Auger was handed a penalty for roughing. Yes you read that correctly, Auger was called for roughing. Sebastien Sylvestre, in turn, also headed off the ice for roughing.

Chicoutimi scored a very questionable goal at 19:19 as it looked as if Sebastien Auger was pushed into the net. After several moments of waiting it was announced that the goal was good and Coach Kelly exploded. The goal was given to Jeremy Gregoire with assists going to Lukas Sedlak and Mathieu Gagnon.

With that, the game headed to overtime.

Saint John went down a man as Jason Cameron took a high sticking penalty just over a minute into overtime.

Tesink and Cooper then assaulted the Sags’ net but Desrosiers held firm.

Overtime ended with the score remaining 3-3 and the teams headed to a shootout.

Asselin – No Goal
Huberdeau – GOAL!
Sylverstre – No Goal
Gagne – No Goal
Gregoire – No Goal

Sea Dogs win the game 4-3. Total shots on goal were 35-34 in favour of Saint John.

NOTES: See Sea Dogs Postscript tomorrow on SN.

NEXT GAME: The Sea Dogs face off against Baie-Comeau on Saturday night for their last away game of the three game road trip. Puck drops at 5:00pm.

Photo: Marc Henwood/Station Nation

No comments:

Post a Comment