Wednesday, October 10, 2012

RECAP: That Was Dull. Dogs Lose 4-0.

By Tim Lumsden
SN Staff

FINAL:  Saint John 0, PEI 4

The Saint John Sea Dogs headed to Anne’s Playground on Wednesday night to face off against the PEI Rocket. Fans would be relieved to hear that Stephen MacAulay and Kevin Gagne would be back playing on the team, returning to Saint John after showing their stuff at Bulldogs camp.

Sebastien Auger stepped back between the pipes for Saint John. Antoine Bibeau took the net for the Rocket.

Saint John started off the night with a penalty at 4:55 to Jurij Repe for holding. This would send PEI on an uneventful power play.

Ryan Tesink and Louick Marcotte each took some time in the box as they were sent out for roughing at 7:20.

PEI spent the majority of the first period playing a very offensive game, making several shots on Sebastien Auger. Despite the loss over the weekend, Auger seemed to have let it go and really focused on the game at hand, making some incredible saves.

With 5:57 left of the first, the Sea Dogs were sent to the power play as Patrick McGrath was sent to the penalty box for checking from behind.

A point blank shot from Victor Provencher, at 1:50 left of the first, somehow was blocked by Auger as he dropped to the ice and kicked out a leg, catching enough to deny Provencher his goal.

Zilbert took a stick to the face at the end of the period, however it went unnoticed by officials. He left the ice clutching his face as the teams headed back to the dressing rooms.

The period ended with a shot on goal total of 12-8 in favour of the PEI Rocket.

Victor Provencher received a penalty for holding at 5:16. This sent Saint John to their second power play of the night.

While on the penalty kill, Josh Currie caught a breakaway. He charged up the ice to a waiting Sebastien Auger. With lightning reflexes, Auger blocked the puck with his pad and once again denied the Rocket their goal.

There were quite a few scoring opportunities throughout the second period, both goalies however, continued to stand their ground, not letting anything through.

Louick Marcotte scored the first goal for PEI, putting them on the board 1-0 at 18:15. Alexis Pepin and Tomas Pavelka each grabbed an assist on that goal.

The Rocket led Saint John 1-0 at the end of the second period. Shots on goal were tied for that period 8-8.

PEI took the first penalty of the third period. Beran Matej would send Saint John to their third power play of the game as he headed to the box for interference at 1:07.

PEI’s Victor Provencher, assisted by Louick Marcotte, gave the Rocket their second goal of the game. Saint John remained at zero. It was 2-0 for PEI with 16 minutes left of the third.

The Rocket took advantage of the shell shocked Sea Dogs as they scored the third thanks to Josh Currie, assisted by Ben Duffy. Their third goal came just 1:33 after they scored the second.

The Rocket took a tripping penalty as Devon Oliver-Dares went down. Daniel Perigo took the tripping penalty at 12:10.

With just over a minute left, Ben Duffy shot high glove side and Auger just couldn’t catch it. That would raise the Rocket to 4 for the game. Matej Beran grabbed the assist as the score went up on the board, 4-0.

With just half of a second left of the third period, a series of penalties were handed out. Devon Oliver-Dares and Jimmy Oligny each snagged a penalty for roughing. Jason Cameron took one for goaltender interference.

That would be the end of the game. The Sea Dogs would head home without the win, having been outshot 33-22.

NOTES: See Sea Dogs Postscript tomorrow on SN.

NEXT GAME: The Dogs return home to play back to back games at Harbour Station on Friday and Saturday. Friday they face off against Rouyn Noranda. Puck drops at 7:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment