Some stuff from last night’s game…
- It was all Moosheads in the first 40 minutes of this game. They led 6-1 after two and were outshooting the Sea Dogs 32-11.
- But in the third, Halifax took their foot off the gas and allowed the Sea Dogs to get back into the game. Saint John scored four times in the frame – including three in a 3:31 span – to make it 6-5 entering the final minutes. But that would be as close as the Sea Dogs would get.
- Nathan Noel was involved in all three Saint John goals in the later half of the third. He finished the game with a goal and two assists.
- The Dogs got as many shots in the third (11) as they did in the first two periods combined.
- Saint John has scored 24 goals in third periods this season, the most of any period.
- It was nice to see the Sea Dogs storm back and it was nice to see them score five goals in a game. They are averaging the second fewest goals per game in the QMJHL this year (2.38).
- Halifax had lots of goals but few goal scorers. Brent Andrews, Matt Murphy, and Nikolaj Ehlers all scored twice last night. Jonathan Drouin added an empty netter.
- Defenseman Will Thompson returned to the Saint John lineup and played his first game since October 12th due to an upper body injury. He made an impact in this one, scoring his second goal of the season in the second period to get Saint John on the board.
- On Thursday in Moncton, Noah Zilbert scored his first goal since opening night. He scored again last night, starting Saint John’s third period comeback with a goal 37 seconds in.
- Stephen Anderson had a two-goal game last night. It was a long time coming for Anderson who hadn’t scored since October 4th.
- Sebastien Auger was pulled after 40 minutes in favour of Antoine Landry. Auger, who was given Thursday’s game off, allowed six goals on 32 shots. Landry played the third and played well, making 13 saves.
- Forward Spencer Smallman also returned to the Sea Dogs lineup. He missed Thursday’s game in Moncton after taking that hit into the boards on Tuesday. Smallman had an assist and two shots in last night’s contest.
- With an assist last night, David Weckworth has tied his career high for assists in a season with seven.
- Sea Dogs scratches were forwards Joey Richard (healthy) and Samuel Dove-McFalls (upper body) along with defensemen Michael Abbott (upper body) and Thomas Chabot (healthy).
- The Sea Dogs have lost three straight overall and six straight on the road. Saint John has been outscored 16-8 over their past three games.
- Kelly Bent and Liam Alcalde dropped the gloves at 13:33 of the second but was broken up by the officials before they could start throwing. In typical QMJHL fashion, the two tried again at 19:50 and had a decent tilt this time around.
NOTES: Oliver Cooper had two assists… Olivier LeBlanc had three hits… Stephen Anderson had five shots… Zach Fucale allowed five goals on 22 shots.
NEXT GAME: The Sea Dogs begin a three-in-three Quebec trip on Thursday in Victoriaville.