FINAL: Saint John 6, Halifax 5 (OT)
HALIFAX – What a night for Adam Marsh.
The first year forward scored two goals and added two assists in the Saint John Sea Dogs’ 6-5 comeback win over the Halifax Mooseheads on Saturday night at Scotiabank Centre.
Mitchell Dempsey also scored a pair while singles came from Thomas Chabot and Julien Tessier. Spencer Smallman and Nathan Noel added two assists each. Sebastien Auger made 20 saves in the win.
Connor Moynihan and Timo Meier scored two goals each for the Moose while Ryan Falkenham added a solo marker. Kevin Resop made 28 saves in the loss.
Halifax led 3-0 after the first period as the Sea Dogs got into some more penalty trouble. Falkenham, Moynihan, and Meier scored for the Moose. Shots were 12-8 in favour of the homeside.
The second period was a different story. Tessier scored just 25 seconds in as he tipped an Olivier LeBlanc shot past Resop. At 2:50, Dempsey scored on a breakaway to make it a 3-2 contest. Later on, during a power play, it appeared as though Jurij Siska had tied the game but the goal was called off due to a player being in the crease.
At 16:22, Marsh scored on a perfect wrist shot to tie things up. But, the Moose quickly responded with a goal from Meier less than two minutes later. Despite being outshot 13-4 in the frame, Halifax led 4-3 after two.
Dempsey’s second of the game 23 seconds into the third tied the match at 4-4. But once again, Halifax retook the lead a few minutes later as Moynihan completed a nice passing play. Saint John tied things up again at 13:58 as Marsh netted his second. Shots in the third were 10-9 Dogs.
In overtime, Chabot scored 1:04 in to give the Dogs a 6-5 victory.
TURNING POINT/BIG MOMENT
Whenever Adam Marsh decided to come to Sea Dogs camp.
SN PLAYERS OF THE GAME
4. Jack vanBoekel – he assisted on the game-tying goal, which makes me happy because a bad turnover earlier in the game cost the Dogs a goal.
3. Mitchell Dempsey – two goals and a couple hits
2. Connor Moynihan – did some stuff
1. Adam Marsh - beast
TWEET OF THE GAME
Congrats to my brother on his second goal of the night💙💙💙 @SeaDogsLive
— brooke dempsey (@brookedempseyy) September 21, 2014
- The Sea Dogs were without goaltender Bobby Dugan; defensemen Braydon Blight and Bailey Webster (suspended); and forwards Alex Kealey and Nikita Li.
- It appeared as though Adam Marsh tipped Thomas Chabot’s OT goal but it was credited to Chabot.
- Marsh and Mitchell Dempsey each scored their first QMJHL goals.
- Mathieu Joseph was in some pain after blocking a shot in the first period but remained in the game.
- BMO remains a big sponsor of the Mooseheads despite Scotiabank taking over the Metro Centre’s naming rights.
- The Sea Dogs erased a three-goal deficit against the Mooseheads in Truro during the pre-season. They lost that game in a shootout.
- According to broadcaster Tim Roszell, Adam Marsh’s father was at the game.
- Kelly Bent had one assist in the game. He put a nasty looking hit from behind on Matthew Highmore but the play went unnoticed by officials.
- This was Saint John's first road win of the season.
The Sea Dogs and Mooseheads battle next Saturday at 7 p.m. at Harbour Station.