FINAL: Val-d’Or 1, Saint John 4
By Kevin Chambers | SN Staff
SAINT JOHN – Sporting their Pink in the Rink jerseys, the Saint John Sea Dogs got back in the win column on Friday night, defeating the Val-d’Or Foreurs 4-1 at Harbour Station.
Goal scorers for the Sea Dogs were Mathieu Joseph (two), Cedric Pare and Matt Green. Alex D’Orio remains undefeated in his QMJHL career, improving to 4-0-0 by stopping 19 of 20 shots
Julien Gauthier had the lone goal for the Foreurs. Dereck Baribeau stopped 22 shots and Etienne Montpetit 16 in the loss.
To the notes…
- This was Pink in the Rink night at Harbour Station, with the Sea Dogs sporting pick jerseys that were raffled off.
- The Foreurs notched the lone goal of the opening period when Gauthier scored on a breakaway at 15:44, sliding a shot five hole on D’Orio.
- Pare would even things up by banging home the rebound of a Matt Green wrist shot at the 5:20 mark of period two.
- Joseph picked up his first goal of the night on a penalty shot at 8:11, going forehand to backhand before sliding the puck five-hole on Baribeau. That gave the Sea Dogs a 2-1 lead.
- Joseph wouldn’t wait long to pick up his second straight tally. At 12:05 of the middle frame, Joseph undressed a Foreurs defender and went upstairs on Baribeau, making it a 3-1 Sea Dogs lead.
- The Sea Dogs would extend their lead to 4-1 at 14:56 of the middle frame with a shorthanded marker. Samuel Dove-McFalls and Matt Green broke in 2-on-1 that ended with Green one timing a shot past Baribeau.
- During the first intermission, the Sea Dogs recognized CEO and majority owner Scott McCain on his 60th birthday. Fans sang him the happy birthday tune.
- There is an apparent serious flu bug going through the Sea Dogs locker room, causing several players to miss time.
- Matthew Highmore picked up two assists, moving him past Tomas Jurco for sixth all-time on the Sea Dogs points list with 177 career points.
Smallman - Highmore - Joseph
Veleno - Noel – Dove-McFalls
Imama – Pare - Green
Reginato - Quinney - Ward
Michel - Stewart
Bernier - Green
Felixson - Martineau
SCRATCHES: The Sea Dogs were without Thomas Chabot (Ottawa Senators), John Warren, Jakub Zboril, Zach Grzelewski, Sam Leblanc and Bailey Webster.
Mathieu Joseph picked up back-to-back goals, giving the Sea Dogs a 3-1 lead. There was no looking back after that.
SN PLAYERS OF THE GAME
1. Mathieu Joseph
2. Matt Green
3. Cole Reginato
TWEET OF THE GAME
With 2 assists tonight @MHighmore15 has 177 career points moving him past Tomas Jurco for 6th all time in Sea Dogs points! Congrats Matt! pic.twitter.com/R6S9q8e7dU— Saint John Sea Dogs (@SJSeaDogs) October 22, 2016
The Sea Dogs are back in action tomorrow night at Harbour Station against the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies. Game time is 7 p.m.