SAINT JOHN – The Saint John Sea Dogs' return home did not disappoint, posting a 4-0 shutout victory over the Moncton Wildcats on Wednesday night.
The goal scorers for the Sea Dogs were Matthew Highmore, Kyle Ward, Mathieu Joseph and Bokondji Imama. Alex D’Orio stopped all 19 shots he faced to pick up the first shutout of his QMJHL career.
Dominik Tmej stopped 21 of the 25 shots sent his direction in the Wildcats net.
To the notes…
- The Sea Dogs got on the board first at 11:49 of the opening period when Highmore redirected a pass from Samuel Dove-McFalls past Tmej, making it 1-0 Sea Dogs.
- Ward scored in his second straight game at 7:53 of the middle frame, firing a laser wrist shot past Tmej to make it 2-0 Dogs.
- Joseph extended the Sea Dogs lead to 3-0 at 13:02 of the second when he finished off a two-on-one play with Highmore.
- Imama got in on the act at 1:47 of the third period, picking up his 16th of the season when he fired a wrist shot past the stretched out Wildcats goaltender. That gave the Sea Dogs a comfortable 4-0 edge.
- Sea Dogs head coach Danny Flynn coached his 500th QMJHL game on Wednesday - and it came against his former team.
- The Sea Dogs returned to the CHL Top 10 Rankings this week, coming in at No. 6. It's the highest ranking amongst QMJHL squads.
- Prior to the game, Joseph was named Player of the Month for November while Joe Veleno was named the Student of the Month.
- Bailey Webster returned to the lineup for the first time since suffering an upper body injury on Nov. 18.
- Highmore has reached 199 points in his QMJHL career.
- Joseph extended his point streak to 17 games.
- Nathan Noel was injured early in the second period and did not return.
- The Wildcats had just 19 shots on net in this game and were outshot 10-1 in the second period.
Dove-McFalls - Highmore - Joseph
Imama - Noel - Smallman
Ward - Pare - Reginato
Quinney - Leblanc
Zboril - Stewart
Chabot - Bernier
Felixson – Green
Joe Veleno (lower body), John Warren (upper body), Bryson Michel (upper body), and Vincent Martineau (healthy).
The Sea Dogs scoring the lone goal of the first period off the stick of Matthew Highmore. That gave the Sea Dogs a 1-0 lead after one - despite giving the Wildcats four power play chances, which included a 5-on-3 opportunity.
SN PLAYERS OF THE GAME
1. Alex D’Orio (First career shutout - and against Moncton)
2. Matthew Highmore (goal and an assist)
3. Samuel Dove-McFalls (two assists)
TWEET OF THE GAME
Danny Flynn wins his 500th career game. Thanks to his son for sharing this tidbit.
NEXT GAME500th @QMJHL game tonight as a head coach for #dad against team he coached and took to #MemCup good like @SJSeaDogs tonight #ProudSon— Flynner (@BMF14) December 7, 2016
The Sea Dogs are back at it tomorrow night at Harbour Station against the Victoriaville Tigres. Game time is 7 p.m.