Sunday, February 26, 2012

RECAP: Domination. Dogs Win 9-1.

FINAL: Cape Breton 1, Saint John 9

SAINT JOHN – A six-goal second period propelled the Saint John Sea Dogs past the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles in front of a packed house at Harbour Station on Sunday afternoon.

Seven different Saint John players scored in a 9-1 blowout victory over the Screaming Eagles, giving the Sea Dogs a 14th consecutive win. The streak is the longest in the entire Canadian Hockey League this season.

Jonathan Huberdeau and Maxime Villemaire each scored two goals while singles came from Charlie Coyle, Tomas Jurco, Danick Gauthier, Ryan Tesink, and Nathan Beaulieu. Tesink and Stephen MacAulay each had three assists. Sebastien Auger only had to make 15 saves for the win.

Cape Breton’s lone goal came from Jonathan Brunelle. William Racicot allowed nine goals on 44 shots in the loss.

The Sea Dogs dominated this game. They led just 1-0 after one but exploded in the second period, scoring six times. They would add two more in the third. Saint John outshot Cape Breton 44-16.

Saint John improved their Quebec Major Junior Hockey League record to 44-14-0-2 and now have 90 points with eight games to play. They sit one-point ahead of the Shawinigan Cataractes in the overall standings and have a game in hand.

Cape Breton went to the power play just 41 seconds in as Jonathan Huberdeau headed off. Despite the early opportunity, the Eagles didn’t do much.

Saint John went to the man advantage at 3:48. They had some good pressure on but could not open the scoring.

Back at even strength, Dany Potvin was in front but Sebastien Auger made a great blocker save in the Sea Dogs goal. Play then came back the other way as Stephen MacAulay fed Ryan Tesink who sent the puck off the outside of the post.

The Eagles went back to the power play at 7:41 but did nothing once again. When Nathan Beaulieu stepped out of the box he went in on a breakaway. He beat Eagles goaltender William Racicot with a backhand shot that went over his glove at 9:51 to give the Dogs a 1-0 lead.

Saint John began to take over in the second part of the period. Zack Phillips entered the zone and cut in front but had his shot padded away by Racicot. The rebound went to Maxime Villemaire who was unable to jam it in.

A few moments later, Danick Gauthier had a breakaway but was stopped as well. Soon after, Villemaire had a couple of decent opportunities but was stopped again.

The Sea Dogs went to the power play again at 15:17. They had a few shots but none could beat Racicot in the Eagles net.

Shots in the opening frame were 15-6 Saint John.

Huberdeau gave the Sea Dogs a 2-0 lead at 1:40. The puck came to him and then beat Racicot blocker side to extend the Sea Dogs’ lead.

Saint John went to the power play at 3:12. Once again, they had some good pressure but were unable to score.

Back at even strength, Huberdeau fed Phillips in front but was robbed by Racicot. Then, Charlie Coyle came hard down the wing but had his shot stopped as well.

Then the goals started. At 9:38, Phillips fed Tomas Jurco who was standing just above the crease. He one-timed it past the Eagles ‘tender to give the Dogs a 3-0 advantage.

Then Tesink gave Saint John at 4-0 lead at 10:09. Villemaire fed the St. Louis Blue prospect who showed some patience, walking around a fallen Racicot and sliding it in.

Then at 10:54, Huberdeau netted his second of the game, completing a nice passing play by roofing it into the Cape Breton net.

Saint John made it 6-0 at 16:08. Danick Gauthier turned and fired the puck past Racicot to make it a blowout.

The Dogs headed to the man advantage at 18:47. Then at 19:02, Villemaire sent a one-timer past the Racicot to make it 7-0 Saint John after two.

Shots in the middle frame were 20-5 Sea Dogs.

After a quiet first half of a period, the Eagles went to the power play at 9:28 of the third. On the man advantage, a point sailed high and over everyone and was eventually batted in by Jonathan Brunelle at 9:50 to get the visitors on the board. The goal went under review but it would stand.

The Sea Dogs were shorthanded again at 10:25. While shorthanded, Coyle had a decent scoring chance, sending the puck off the side of the net.

Saint John then went to the power play at 15:44. On the man advantage, Villemaire scored his second of the game on a cross crease feed from MacAulay at 17:18. That made it an 8-1 game.

The Sea Dogs weren’t done there. Phillips was in the slot and setup Coyle at the side of the cage to make it a 9-1 final.

Shots were 9-5 Saint John in the third period.

The Sea Dogs went 2-for-5 on the power play while the Eagles went 1-for-4.

NOTES: See Sea Dogs Postscript tomorrow on SN.

NOTES: The Sea Dogs battle the Moncton Wildcats on Tuesday night at Harbour Station.

Photo Credit: Marc Henwood/Station Nation


  1. Guess Gerard got through to them after the game in Moncton!!

  2. Everyone says how bad they played in Moncton. They still managed to get like what...55 shots or something? I know the first period was bad but the last 2 seem more of running into a hot goalie then playing bad.

    1. I agree I was at the game, if Will wasn't so hot, it would have been a blowout. That said - let's lay the boots to them on Tuesday.