Friday, February 15, 2013

RECAP: Huge Win. Dogs Win 4-2.

FINAL: Moncton 2, Saint John 4
By Tim Lumsden
SN Staff

SAINT JOHN - It was game two of a three game weekend for the Saint John Sea Dogs as they set their sights on long-time rivals the Moncton Wildcats. The two teams battled it out at Harbour Station on Friday evening.

Sebastien Auger once again returned to net for Saint John while Cole Holowenko started in net for Moncton. Holowenko would later be replaced by Alex Dubeau after twenty three minutes of ice time.

Things kicked off with a bang as Kyle Haas and Justin Dickinson dropped the gloves with less than two minutes into play. They would both be sent off to cool off in the box with fighting penalties.

Alex Saulnier took a high sticking call at 3:34 soon followed by Cole Holowenko for a delay of game at 3:52. Holowenko’s penalty sent the Sea Dogs to their first power play. Jakub Izacky was all over that one as he put the first point up on the board for Saint John with help from Repe and Anderson.

It didn’t take long for Moncton to answer Saint John’s goal with one of their own as Yannick Veilleux scored at 6:43.

Things heated up between Ross Johnston and Maxime Villemaire at 8:48 but the result was a pair of roughing penalties.

The second goal of the game was also for the Sea Dogs, this time scored by Noah Zilbert. He was assisted by Oliver Cooper at 10:12.

Steven Duda took the last penalty of the period at 15:20. He spent time in the penalty box for holding.

Shots were 17-10 Moncton in the first.

Fans cheered as the score rose 3-1 at 3:03. Connor Donaghey, assisted by Cuomo and Dickinson, slipped one by Holowenko, resulting in Alex Dubeau being called to take over net.

Ross Johnston found himself heading back to the box at 4:38 for high sticking.

Steven Duda returned to the penalty box once again at 8:57, this time for holding but made it out just in time to join Brown in assisting Maxime Villemaire score the Sea Dogs’ fourth goal of the night at 11:31.

In a series of calls that had fans confused, Marcus Cuomo and Steven Duda were both called for tripping at 12:51 while penalty box regular, Ross Johnston, was sent to the box for diving at the same time.

Mark Tremaine served a hooking penalty at 15:23 and Oliver Cooper finished off the period’s penalties at 17:45 when he received a hooking call.

Shots were 15-8 ‘Cats in the second.

The excitement continued through to the third period as fans got more involved in the game. It appeared as though Saint John fans might once again get to hear the familiar “Heave Away” they so longed to hear.

Olivier LeBlanc took an unfortunate high sticking call at 14:29, resulting in Alex Saulnier scoring a power play goal at 15:28. This closed the gap slightly to 4-2.

The final score of the game was 4-2 for Saint John despite a total shots on goal total of 46-24 in favour of Moncton.

NOTES: See Sea Dogs Postscript tomorrow on SN.

NEXT GAME: Saint John heads to PEI for a showdown with the PEI Rocket on Saturday. Puck drops at 7pm.

1 comment:

  1. Auger was a Beast Tonight! that kid definitely deserved 1st star