Thursday, February 14, 2013

RECAP: Sha-win-again. Dogs Lose 3-2.

FINAL: Shawinigan 3, Saint John 2
By Tim Lumsden
SN Staff

SAINT JOHN - The Saint John Sea Dogs took on the Shawinigan Cataractes on Thursday evening at Harbour Station.

Stepping into goal for Saint John was Sebastien Auger. Marvin Cupper started in goal for Shawinigan.

The first period began with Saint John sending the Cataractes to the power play as Spencer Smallman was set off to the box at 1:10 for tripping.

Frank Schumacher kicked off the scoring for Shawinigan with his goal at 8:52. This put the Cats on the board 1-0.

Saint John went on the attack as Alexandre Grandmaison was handed a roughing penalty at 10:06.

In the shots on goal department, the teams were pretty evenly matched by the end of the period with the Sea Dogs barely leading 11-8.

The score rose 2-0 at 6:56 as Frederick Gaudreau scored an unassisted goal for Shawinigan.

It was time in box for Olivier LeBlanc as he was called for cross checking at 11:42.

Shawinigan took the lead in shots on goal during the second period with a total of 9-6.

Things started to heat up in the third period as the energy output from both teams began to climb. Raphael Maheux and Oliver Cooper were called for roughing while Phil Pietroniro and Brett Malone took it one step further and dropped the gloves at 2:06. The brawlers were sent off for fighting and given some time to cool off.

Maxime Villemaire headed off the ice to serve a tripping penalty at 3:54.

Shawinigan took a pair of back to back penalties as Samuel Aquin, at 5:10 for high sticking, and Peter Sakaris, at 5:53 for boarding.

Michael Abbott finally put a point up for Saint John at 7:16 with assists by Anderson and Villemaire. This closed the gap 2-1.

Steven Duda was next to the box at 8:38 as he skated off for holding.

Alexandra Grandmaison and Ian Saab got pushy at 15:16 which resulted in a pair of roughing penalties.

Jakub Izacky tied the score 2-2 at 15:58 to a standing ovation from the Saint John fans. Repe and Durepos gained the assists on that one.

Phil Pietroniro scored the final goal of the game at 17:14. The game would end with a score of 3-2 and a shots on goal total of 34-26 in favour of Saint John.

NOTES: See Sea Dogs Postscript tomorrow on SN.

NEXT GAME: The Sea Dogs return to Harbour Station on Friday night to take on the Moncton Wildcats. Puck drop is at 7:30pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment