Friday, February 22, 2013

RECAP: What You Gonna Do. Dogs Lose 6-1.

FINAL: Saint John 1, Halifax 6

By Tim Lumsden
SN Staff

The Dogs headed to Herd country as the prepared to face off against the Halifax Mooseheads on Friday evening at the Halifax Metro Centre.

Alex Fournier started in net for Saint John while Zach Fucale stood in net for Halifax.

Former Sea Dog turned Moosehead, Stephen MacAulay kicked off the penalties at 3:25 with an interference penalty.

Steven Duda spent some time in the box at 5:52 after being sent off for hooking.

Olivier LeBlanc took an unfortunate delay of game penalty at 11:32.

Stefan Fournier put the first Halifax point up on the board at 13:31. This was soon followed by Andrew Ryan just seconds later at 13:43 as he scored the second goal of the night. Within seconds it was 2-0 for Halifax.

Max Lindsay was handed an unsportsmanlike conduct for spraying Fournier with snow at 14:27.

Jurij Repe sent the Sea Dogs back to the penalty kill at 17:49 for hooking, followed by Matthew Highmore just seconds after the penalty ended at 19:59 for high sticking. This would result in Saint John starting the second period shorthanded.

Shots in the first were 16-4 Halifax.

As if Saint John hadn’t spent enough time in the box, Justin Dickinson headed off for slashing at 3:32.

Andrew Ryan scored his unassisted goal, the 4th of the night for Halifax. It was 4-0 at 7:29.

Matt Murphy took a high sticking call, sending Saint John to the power play at 8:15.

It became 5-0 when Brent Andrews scored at 13:34.

Noah Zilbert got a little steamed at 14:03 and he was sent off, sending the Moose to the power play which resulted in Darcy Ashley scoring 13 seconds into their man advantage at 14:16.

Austin Hardie took a slashing call at 15:54 and then battled it out with Oliver Cooper. Both players would take matching fighting penalties.

Brendan Duke took the last penalty of the second period at 17:42 for interference.

The period would end with a score of 6-0 for Halifax. The Herd also continued to lead in the shots on goal category with 26-10.

Lots of back and forth in the third period but the excitement really increased as Ian Saab and Stefan Fournier dropped the gloves and exchanged punches. This was highly anticipated and expected after a lot of talk and shoving during the Harbour Station game earlier in the week. The fight came at 7:15 as both skated to the penalty box to serve their fighting penalties.

With only nine seconds left of the game, Jakub Izacky scored the only Sea Dog goal to ruin Fucale’s shutout bid.

That was all she wrote for the Sea Dogs as they headed home without the win. The final score was 6-1 with a shots on goal total of 33-14 for Halifax.

NOTES: See Sea Dogs Postscript tomorrow on SN.

NEXT GAME: The Sea Dogs take on the Drummondville Voltigeurs on Sunday afternoon at Harbour Station.

No comments:

Post a Comment