Sunday, February 10, 2013

RECAP: The Ocean's Waves. Dogs Lose 8-2.

FINAL: Rimouski 8, Saint John 2

By Tim Lumsden
SN Staff

SAINT JOHN - The Sea Dogs returned to Harbour Station to host the Rimouski Oceanic on Sunday afternoon.

Sebastien Auger returned to net for the Sea Dogs, and Robin Gusse went into goal for Rimouski.

Francis Beauvillier kicked off the period with an interference penalty at 3:59.

The first goal of the game came at 5:40 on the power play. Oliver Cooper, assisted by Smallman and Leblanc, gave the Dogs their first goal in the game.

Maxime Villemaire sent the Oceanic to the power play with his tripping call at 7:52. Peter Trainor turned this into the first Rimouski goal at 9:01. The score was tied 1-1.

Spencer Smallman had Rimouski ready to go again as he headed to the box for hooking at 14:06. Rimouski in turn added another goal thanks to Alexandre Lavoie at 14:18.

Pierre Durepos must not have agreed with that goal however as he was sent to the box at 14:18 for unsportsmanlike conduct. Moments later at 15:46, Frederik Gauthier brought the score to 3-1, with all the goals to this point being power play markers.

Maxime Villemaire would both end the period and start the next in the box as he was sent off at 19:28.

Shots were 15-6 Rimouski in the first.

Rimouski took the first penalty of the period when Frederik Gauthier headed to the penalty box for interference at 3:35. Stephen Anderson headed off a 4:02.

The fourth Oceanic goal came at 4:21 as Peter Trainor got one by Auger.

Kevin Gagne scored on his former goaltender Sebastien Auger at 6:02. This brought the score to 5-1.

The Dogs headed to the box again at 7:04, this time it was Pierre Durepos who was sent off for interference.

Nicholas Hebert from the Oceanic had a series of unfortunate events that resulted in back to back penalties for Rimouski. The first for high sticking at 11:03 and the second, for hooking, at 14:47.

Alexandre Lavoie brought it to 6-1 with his goal at 18:30.

The second period ended with a score of 5-1, and had the Sea Dogs being outshot 32-10.

Just 32 seconds into play, Alexandre Lavoie added a seventh to the Oceanic's total.

With his first goal as a Sea Dog, and also his first in the QMJHL, Connor Donaghey closed the gap to 7-2 at 2:40.

Frederik Gauthier scored yet another goal at 15:25. This one was number eight.

And that was all she wrote for a very battered Saint John team. The end game score was 8-2.

Shots on goal after 60 minutes of hockey were 46-17 in favour of the Oceanic.

NOTES: See Sea Dogs Postscript tomorrow on SN.

NEXT GAME: Saint John returns to Harbour Station on Thursday when they take on Shawinigan. Puck drops at 7pm.

Photo: Marc Henwood/Station Nation

No comments:

Post a Comment