Friday, February 1, 2013

RECAP: Misconducts For All. Dogs Lose 6-3.

FINAL: Saint John 3, Gatineau 6

The Saint John Sea Dogs have now lost five straight games.

Their latest loss was on Friday night in Gatineau where the Olympiques defeated the Sea Dogs 6-3 in Quebec Major Junior Hockey League action.

It seemed like a normal game after the first period. Saint John even led 1-0. But in the second, Gatineau scored three times. Then in a nasty third period, things just got completely out of hand as penalties and misconducts were being handed out faster than the CHL Online Network could handle. It was ugly. The Dogs ended the game with 12 skaters.

Seven of the nine goals scored tonight were done so on the power play – four by Gatineau and three by Saint John.

Olivier LeBlanc, Marcus Cuomo, and Stephen Anderson scored for the Sea Dogs. Alex Fournier had another decent game, making 20 saves in the loss.

Martin Reway and Derek Sheppard each scored twice for Gatineau while singles came from Rock Regimbald and Simon Tardif-Richard. Robert Steeves made 20 saves in the win.

Tomas Hyka headed off at 2:23, sending Saint John to the power play. Gatineau had a decent shorthanded chance while the Dogs couldn’t get much of anything going.

Sea Dogs goaltender Alex Fournier then made several stops over the next few minutes.

Gatineau headed to the power play at 10:00. They had some good pressure on but could not connect. Oliver Cooper had a decent shorthanded opportunity.

Saint John headed back to the man advantage at 12:03. Once again, the Dogs couldn’t get much of anything going offensively.

Soon after, the Dogs were buzzing a bit in the Gatineau zone. Mickael Beauregard laid a big hit on Oliver Cooper behind the Olympiques crease which created a crowd. Justin Dickinson was given a roughing penalty for his involvement in the scrum, sending Gatineau back on the power play at 15:38. Not much happened during the two minute span.

Gatineau had six men on the ice at 17:49. That is against the rules – true story. On the power play, Robert Steeves made a save on Jurij Repe’s shot but Stephen Anderson was parked in front and potted the rebound to give Saint John a 1-0 lead at 18:29.

Shots were 11-9 Saint John in the opening frame.

David Weckworth headed off just 45 seconds in to serve a cross checking penalty. On the power play, Rock Regimbald tied things up at 2:06.

The Dogs headed back to the man advantage at 3:20. Nothing happened.

After an ugly looking hit was put on Jason Cameron by Jordan Kennedy in the corner at 5:31, chaos broke out. A bunch of players picked up fighting and roughing penalties but neither squad was given a power play.

Beauregard and Justin Dickinson squared off at 7:51. Some hard punches were thrown by both combatants. Dickinson picked up a misconduct for “not wearing a tied-down sweater, or without straps, or a player who has one or both arms coming out the jersey, during a fight.”

A few moments later at 8:15, Tomas Hyka flew into the zone and cut through the top of the crease. His shot was stopped by Fournier but Derek Sheppard put in the rebound to make it 2-1 Gatineau.

Not long after the ‘Piques took the lead, it looked as if they had scored again. It was called no goal by the officials, and after a review, was declared no goal as it was put in by a hand or something. Whatev.

Gatineau went back to the power play at 9:56. Cameron had a shorthanded breakaway but was stopped by Steeves. Sheppard scored his second of the game at 11:48 to give the Olympiques a 3-1 advantage.

Shots were 6-5 in favour of the Olympiques in the second period.

Fournier made a big time save early on, robbing Kameron Kielly of a sure goal.

Repe headed off for roughing at 1:40, sending Gatineau to another power play. And the Olympiques would get another power play goal as Martin Reway scored at 2:13, making it 4-1 Gatineau.

Ian Saab headed off for cross checking and Samuel Courtemanche for slashing at 3:51. During the four-on-four play at 4:57, Reway scored again to give Gatineau a 5-1 advantage.

Just a few moments after the goal, Mackenzie Brown and Cameron each had good chances at the other end but could not score.

Adam Chapman took a slashing penalty at 8:40 but was unable to serve after getting injured in a collision with Villemaire. The fans were not happy with the call. Then at 9:08, Cooper was given a misconduct for unsportsmanlike conduct while sitting on the bench.

Justin Dickinson headed to the box at 11:53 for tripping. At 12:24, Simon Tardif-Richard scored yet another power play goal to make it 6-1.

Complete chaos broke out at 13:09. Basically everyone on the ice was given a misconduct.

During a five-on-three power play, Olivier LeBlanc scored at 14:17 to make it 6-2. The goals was originally given to Anderson but was later changed.

Then at 18:04 on another five-on-three advantage, Marcus Cuomo scored to make it 6-3. But that is as close as it would get.

Shots in the third were 11-7 in favour of Gatineau.

NOTES: See Sea Dogs Postscript tomorrow on SN.

NEXT GAME: The Sea Dogs travel to Shawinigan for a rematch of the 2012 Memorial Cup semi-final against the Cataractes. Puck drop is 5pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment