Wednesday, February 27, 2013

RECAP: Happy Birthday. Dogs Win 4-2.

FINAL: Cape Breton 2, Saint John 4

By Tim Lumsden
SN Staff

SAINT JOHN - It was an air vs sea assault as Saint John played host to the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles on Wednesday night.

Sebastien Auger took his regular spot in net for Saint John while Alex Bureau took guard for Cape Breton.

Clark Bishop started things off with a rocket past Auger at 4:22. In under five minutes it was already 1-0 for the Eagles.

That was soon answered by Matthew Highmore at 5:11. Donaghey and Cuomo grabbed assists to make it 1-1.

Stephen Woodworth and Jason Cameron got pushy at 5:56, resulting in matching roughing penalties.

Charles -Eric Legare sent the Dogs to the power play at 6:16 with his high sticking penalty.

17:21 was the time on the last penalty of the period when Gareth Nicholson was handed a delay of game penalty.

Shots were 16-5 in favour of the Sea Dogs in the first.

Noah Zilbert was called for hooking at 1:17.

Stephen Woodworth upped the lead 2-1 at 5:43 with his goal for the Eagles.

Raphael Corriveau and Ian Saab earned roughing penalties at 6:06.

Bronson Beaton took a roughing penalty at 15:44 while Matthew Highmore was sent off for cross checking.

Bryce Milson finished off the second period penalties at 16:01 with an interference call.

The second period was basically the exact opposite of the first. Cape Breton took over, out shooting Saint John 23-6 in the frame.

It was nothing but high energy from both teams but the Dogs seemed to find the ability to dig deep and find just a little more.

Connor Donaghey tied the game 2-2 with Highmore and Cuomo's help at 2:43.

Matthew Highmore went all out at 11:32 and scored the third Sea Dog goal. Connor Donaghey had the lone assist.

Seconds later at 11:45, Stephen Anderson scored a fourth with the assist going to Oliver Cooper. Just like that, it was 4-2.

The only penalties were a pair of delay of game calls for Saint John and Cape Breton as Maxime Villemaire, the One Hit Wonder, rabbit punched Raphael Corriveau and sent him to the ice with one swing. This came at 13:31.

When all was said and done, the Sea Dogs skated off with a 4-2 win against Cape Breton. Shots on goal were 41-34 in favour of the Eagles.

NOTES: See Sea Dogs Postscript tomorrow on SN.

NEXT GAME: Saint John returns to Harbour Station on Friday evening as they faceoff against Victoriaville at 7:30pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment