The Screaming Eagles' power play had a big night, going 3/6 against the league's top penalty killing team - a team that's still missing many of its key killers.
Massimo Carozza had a hat trick for Cape Breton while Phelix Martineau added a pair. Giovanni Fiore also scored, giving him 28 on the season. Kevin Mandolese made 32 saves in the win.
Matthew Highmore, Nathan Noel and Joe Veleno scored for Saint John. Callum Booth was pulled after allowing five goals on 24 shots. Alex D'Orio made four saves in relief.
To the notes...
- Highmore opened the scoring at 11:21 of the first period, redirecting a Bailey Webster shot.
- The Screaming Eagles tied the game on a power play at 19:44 when Fiore netted his 28th goal of the season.
- Cape Breton took their first lead of the game at 7:59 of the second when Martineau sprung out of the penalty box and beat Booth.
- 59 seconds later, Carozza fired a cross crease pass that went off David Comeau and in, making it 3-1 Eagles. That goal came on the man advantage.
- Saint John got back within one with a power play goal of their own at 12:43. Noel fired a wrist shot that went off Mandolese's arm and in, making it 3-2.
- The Screaming Eagles would take a two-goal lead into the third period. At 18:53, Olivier Leblanc fired a slap shot from the line that beat Booth. Credit for the goal was given to Martineau.
- 2:24 into the third, Martineau netted his second of the game to make it 5-2 Eagles.
- Saint John got back within two at 7:57 on a power play. Simon Bourque was at the top of the circle and sent a perfect pass to Veleno who beat Mandolese upstairs.
- Cape Breton iced the game at 17:43 with an empty net goal.
- The Screaming Eagles have now won five straight games.
- Bourque made his Sea Dogs debut and was on the team's top defence pairing with Bailey Webster. He finished the game with one assist and four shots.
- Bokondji Imama had a rare fight.
- Veleno has two goals and two assists in his past three games.
- Highmore now has goals in six straight home games
Sea Dogs lineup vs the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles #PortCityRise #TeamDK pic.twitter.com/qbD2dnoRCw— Saint John Sea Dogs (@SJSeaDogs) January 4, 2017
Thomas Chabot (Team Canada), Mathieu Joseph (Team Canada), Jakub Zboril (Czech Republic), Spencer Smallman (upper body), Matt Green (upper body) and Chase Stewart (upper body).
The Sea Dogs host the Acadie-Bathurst Titan on Friday because it's been way too long since they last met.