The goal gives Joseph points in 22 straight games, which is the longest streak in the QMJHL this season and also ties a Sea Dogs franchise record. Zack Phillips had points in 22 straight contests during the 2011-12 season.
Callum Booth earned his first shutout as a Sea Dog, making 22 saves in the win.
Xavier Potvin had a strong game in the Chicoutimi net, making 33 saves in the loss.
To the notes...
- Chicoutimi's Zachary Lavigne had a good shorthanded chance early but hit the outside of the post. Late in the period, Matthew Highmore fired a shot from a sharp angle that beat Potvin but not the post.
- Less than a minute into the second period, Bokondji Imama had a great chance but wired his shot off the crossbar.
- At 8:21, Thomas Chabot fed Joseph who broke in past the Chicoutimi defence and beat Potvin blocker side to make it 1-0 Saint John.
- The Sea Dogs had a lengthy five-on-three power play in the second but could not score.
- Both teams applied pressure at moments in the third period but could not connect. Saint John was the better team late, and when Frederic Allard slashed Joseph with 1:40 to play, that basically ended the game.
- Both Nathan Noel and Samuel Dove-McFalls returned from upper body injuries. Chabot was also back in Saint John's lineup after being given Tuesday's game off.
- Imama has not scored in four straight games.
- Chabot now has assists in seven straight home games.
- Highmore's 11-game home point streak came to an end.
- German Rubtsov, a Philadelphia Flyers first-rounder and a member of Team Russia at the world juniors, appeared in his second career QMJHL game.
- The game featured 14 NHL drafted players, including four Carolina Hurricanes prospects.
- Former NHLer Glenn “Chico” Resch was in the house for Faith and Family Night.
- The Sea Dogs and Sagueneens meet again on Feb. 18 in Chicoutimi.
The Sea Dogs were without Chase Stewart (upper body), John Warren (upper body), Kyle Ward (lower body) and Alexandre Bernier (healthy).
Liam Conrad has been sent back to the MHL.
Mathieu Joseph's goal was the difference.
SN THREE STARS
1. Xavier Potvin
2. Mathieu Joseph
3. Callum Booth
TWEET OF THE GAME
NEXT GAMEWith the goal, @MathJoseph7 has tied the #SJSeaDogs franchise record for consecutive games with a point. #PortCityRise pic.twitter.com/hkWSGtDRvI— Saint John Sea Dogs (@SJSeaDogs) January 21, 2017
The Sea Dogs host the Baie-Comeau Drakkar tomorrow night at 7 p.m.