SAINT JOHN – The Saint John Sea Dogs scored early and never look back as they cruised to a 7-2 victory over the Moncton Wildcats on Tuesday night at Harbour Station.
The goal scorers for the Sea Dogs were Samuel Leblanc (two), Spencer Smallman (two), Julien Gauthier, Matt Green and Cole Reginato. Callum Booth picked up the win, stopping 18 shots.
Replying for the Wildcats were Axel Simic and Adam Capannelli. Taking the loss was Dominik Tmej who stopped six of the nine shots he faced before being relieved by Matthew Waite, who stopped 31 of 35 shots sent his way.
To the notes…
- The Sea Dogs got on the board first just 54 seconds into the game as Smallman was able to tap a loose puck past Tmej.
- Leblanc made it 2-0 at 5:03 of the opening period. After catching a nice pass from Jakub Zboril, he was able to break in and wrist a shot past Tmej.
- The Sea Dogs wouldn’t take long to make it 3-0 as Gauthier tapped home another rebound at 5:52, which ended the night for Tmej. Waite would come in to take over the reigns.
- Simic would get the Wildcats on the board at 15:12 of the first period, one timing a shot past Booth.
- The Sea Dogs would get the goal right back as Green deked to his backhand and slid a shot past Waite at 15:46, extending the lead to 4-1 for the Dogs.
- Smallman picked up his second of the game on a power play at 11:35 of the second to make it 5-1.
- Reginato would get in on the scoring summary at 9:57 of the third when he turned and fired a loose puck in the slot past Waite. That made it 6-1.
- Leblanc was awarded a penalty shot at 10:28 and he would make no mistake, wristing a shot over the glove of Waite for his second of the game.
- Capannelli would pick up another power play goal at 15:14 - almost a carbon copy of the first Wildcat goal - on a feed from behind the net.
- The late start for tonight’s game (8 p.m.) due Rogers TV's commitment to broadcast… Bingo!
- Mathieu Joseph extended his point to 21 games, tying the league high for this season.
SCRATCHESSea Dogs lineup for tonight's tilt against the visiting @monctonwildcats #PortCityRise #TeamDK pic.twitter.com/at1zlAyiUx— Saint John Sea Dogs (@SJSeaDogs) January 17, 2017
Nathan Noel (upper body), John Warren (upper body), Thomas Chabot (maintenance), Samuel Dove-McFalls (upper body) and Chase Stewart (upper body).
Going all the way back to the opening goal in this game just 54 seconds in. Spencer Smallman's goal set the tone for the night as the Sea Dogs never looked back.
SN PLAYERS OF THE GAME
1. Sam Leblanc
2. Spencer Smallman
3. Cole Reginato
TWEET OF THE GAME
Couple Dogs meeting Prime Minister Trudeau today … Kind of a big deal!
NEXT GAMEPM @JustinTrudeau took some time to meet with @ThomasChabot1 & @ju_gauth12 today #prettycool #WJC2017 #qmjhl #Qnation @SJSeaDogs pic.twitter.com/7fPZLbaF6J— QMJHL (@QMJHL) January 18, 2017
The Sea Dogs return to action this Friday night against the visiting Chicoutimi Sagueneens. Game time is 7 p.m.