Nathan Beaulieu was the only former Sea Dog in action on the opening night of the 2014-15 NHL season.
Beaulieu, back wearing No. 28, had one shot in 10:25 of ice time in the Montreal Canadiens’ 4-3 victory over the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Beaulieu and the Habs take on the Washington Capitals in DC tomorrow. That game can be seen nationally on Sportsnet 360.
Thursday should see a number of former Sea Dogs in action. Here’s a rundown:
- Gerard Gallant officially returns to the NHL as he steps behind the Florida Panthers bench for their game in Tampa Bay. Of course, the Panthers also feature Jonathan Huberdeau and Mike Kelly.
- There are probably more Florida Panthers fans in Saint John than in Miami, am I right? Just getting this joke out there so we can all get on with our lives.
- Eric Gelinas and the New Jersey Devils are in Philadelphia to battle the Flyers. Gelinas played in 60 games with the Devils last season, recording seven goals and 22 assists.
- Simon Despres and the Pittsburgh Penguins host the Anaheim Ducks.
- Tomas Jurco and the Detroit Red Wings host the Boston Bruins.
- In a game that can be seen on TSN5, Mike Hoffman and the Ottawa Senators visit Nashville to battle the Predators at 9 p.m.
- Lastly, Charlie Coyle and the Minnesota Wild take on Nathan MacKinnon and the Colorado Avalanche.