Not only was it an impressive 7-0 Sea Dogs win, but it was also quite nasty with a handful of players getting injured.
On the Saint John side, Matthew Highmore and Jack vanBoekel were both hurt late in the game and did not play on Sunday. Highmore was hit from behind while vanBoekel hit his head on the ice following a fight.
On the Halifax side, Danny Moynihan was suspended one game by the league for his hit on Highmore. According to the Chronicle Herald, Samuel Leblanc and Vincent Watt were both hurt on Saturday and will miss some time. Leblanc was injured after getting tangled up with Olivier LeBlanc and Watt after taking a big open ice hit from vanBoekel.
The Sea Dogs and Mooseheads meet again on October 11 at Harbour Station.
Some other stuff…
- The Victoriaville Tigres officially announced yesterday that they have claimed Nikita Li off waivers from the Sea Dogs. To make room for the Russian, the Tigres traded Jan Mandat to Val-d’Or for a 2015 fourth-round draft pick.
- SB Nation has a big time article on Jack Eichel.
- SlovakProspects.com has an article on Juraj Siska.
- EnBeauce.com has an article on Thomas Chabot.
- The Sea Dogs host the Charlottetown Islanders tonight at 7 p.m. at Harbour Station. Saint John then travels to Cape Breton to battle the Screaming Eagles on Friday and Saturday night.
Photo: Marc Henwood/Station Nation