Sunday, November 2, 2014

RECAP: Dogs Win 5-4 (SO)

FINAL: Cape Breton 4, Saint John 5 (SO)

By Lorne Webster | SN Staff

SAINT JOHN - The Sea Dogs (11-3-0-3) and Screaming Eagles (7-9-1-2) returned to Saint John for the back end of a home-and-home series. Following a 6-5 win by Saint John in a wild game on Thursday night in Cape Breton, the Sea Dogs were able to beat the Screaming Eagles 5-4 in a shootout at Harbour Station on Saturday evening. 

Spencer Smallman's goal in the fifth round of the shootout proved to be the winner. During regulation, Jakub Zboril, Adam Marsh - with two - and Matt Highmore scored for Saint John, while Loik Leveille, Felix Martineau, Clark Bishop and Jeremie Beaudin replied for Cape Breton. 

Just five minutes into the first, the Sea Dogs appeared to score but the referees ruled the whistle had blown first. But at 10:36, with Cameron Darcy in the box, Zboril wired a wrist shot from the high slot, off the post and past Francois Brassard. However, at 15:27, Cape Breton responded with a power play goal of their own, when Leveille's point shot getting through Bobby Dugan. An evenly played period ended tied 1-1 and Saint John held a slight 17-16 shot advantage.  

At 1:35 of the second, a shot by Martineau banked off Braydon Blight's shoulder and past Dugan to make it 2-1 for Cape Breton. Brassard came up with a few big saves, including a Juraj Siska penalty shot at 4:20 and a Justice Dundas breakaway to keep the Dogs at bay. Despite being out shot 19-7, the Screaming Eagles ended the period up 2-1.    

The Sea Dogs had a two-man advantage early in the third period but failed to produce a quality scoring chance. At 5:25, Bishop picked up a neutral zone turnover and rifled a shot to the top corner to give the Eagles a 3-1 lead. But at 10:29, Marsh broke around the Cape Breton defence and fired a shot over Brassard's shoulder. 40 seconds later, Highmore one-timed a feed from Dan Del Paggio to tie the score at 3-3. At 18:40, Beaudin converted on a lovely cross ice pass from Darcy to put Cape Breton back in front. But, 25 seconds later, Marsh scored his second of the game, off a great pass from Nathan Noel to send it to overtime. Shots were even at 14 in the third period and the final shot clock showed Saint John up 52-40.

After an entertaining, wide open overtime period, the two teams headed to a shootout. Maxim Lazarev beat Dugan on the stick side to start the things. After Noel and Svechnikov were stopped, Marsh fired the puck off the crossbar and behind Brassard. Darcy and Siska were denied before Farrell scored. Dundas responded with an incredible deke to extend the game. But after Bishop was stoned by Dugan, Smallman came in quickly and beat Brassard on the stick side with a laser to decide the game.

The Sea Dogs never quit attitude was on full display in the final 10 minutes of regulation, lead by Marsh's two goals.

Francois Brassard bounced back from a bad night on Thursday to make 47 saves and earn a point for Cape Breton. At the other end, Bobby Dugan had 36 saves, including several key stops in the third, to earn his first win in his inaugural QMJHL start for Saint John.

  • A Remembrance Day ceremony was held prior to the initial face off.
  • Adam Marsh was named Sea Dog player of the month for October, Bobby Dugan was student of the month while hardest working awards went to Sam Dove-McFalls (forward) and Adam Bateman (defence).
  • Cape Breton goaltender Miguel Sullivan was suspended for one game for using his blocker to punch Matthew Highmore in the head in the third period on Thursday. Also, Screaming Eagle forward Julien Pelletier was suspended indefinitely (TBD) as a result of a "dangerous - slew-footing" incident Thursday as well.
  • Goalie Sebastien Auger (flu); defencemen Luke Green (U-17 Team Canada) and Adam Bateman (injured); as well as forwards Matt Green (healthy) and Alex Kealey (soreness) did not dress for Saint John.
  • The referees and linesmen were sporting their cool MOvember uniforms.
  • With the win, the Sea Dogs have earned at least one point in every game at Harbour Station so far this season.


The Sea Dogs travel to Bathurst on Wednesday for a 7:30 p.m. start against the Titan.  

Photo: Marc Henwood/Station Nation


  1. Play of the night was Spencer Smallman jumping into other teams bench to avoid too many men on the ice penalty.........awesome move!!!!!!

  2. That's 2 home games in a row he's been in that bench:)