Things are getting chippy in Bathurst. #subwaysuperseries pic.twitter.com/XD5DU06VDkBy Lorne Webster and Jamie Tozer
— Darcey McLaughlin (@darceymcl) November 19, 2014
BATHURST – Team QMJHL edged Team Russia 3-1 in Game 5 of the 2014 Subway Super Series on Tuesday night at the KC Irving Regional Centre.
Francis Perron, Daniel Audette and Anthony Richard scored for Team QMJHL. Zach Fucale made 40 saves in the victory – including 22 in the third period alone. The 'Q' only registered 18 shots in the game with just one being registered in the third.
Dmitry Yudin scored Russia’s only goal. Igor Shestyorkin made 15 saves in the loss.
Russia has now lost back-to-back games after opening the series with three straight wins.
Some notes from the game…
- Olivier LeBlanc was paired with Ryan Graves (Que). They received a regular shift and were the primary pair on the penalty kill, which kept Russia 0-for-9 on the PP. LeBlanc had two to three big shot blocks and was also on the second power play unit in the second period.
- LeBlanc looked a bit nervous and struggled with the puck during his first couple of shifts. In his second shift, he turned the puck over at the blue line... the Russians appeared to score off that play but Zach Fucale had been bumped and the goal was waved off immediately. After that, he settled in and played well.
- Sportsnet’s RJ Broadhead spoke about the overhaul of the Sea Dogs' roster by "Darrell Kelly" (later he corrected himself saying he got Darrell Young mixed up with David Kelly). Broadhead said that LeBlanc, as captain, is a huge part of the turn around in Saint John. Also, LeBlanc was drafted in the seventh round by Columbus, put on about 14 pounds over the summer and has a bright future. He is plus-18 so far this season. Broadhead also indicated that LeBlanc has been asked to take on more of a defensive role to lead a young defence in Saint John.
- LeBlanc took a cross checking penalty on a penalty kill late in the second period. He was also called for charging (more of a check from behind – but it seemed like a weak call) about six minutes into the third. Russia did not score with LeBlanc in the box.
- Team QMJHL is small and fast. Frederic Gauthier and Nicolas Roy are the only forwards over 6'0".
- The next and final game of the series is on Thursday in Rimouski.