FINAL: Saint John 1, Baie-Comeau 3
BAIE-COMEAU, QC – The Saint John Sea Dogs ended their three-game Quebec road trip with a 3-1 loss to the Baie-Comeau Drakkar on Saturday at the Henry Leonard Centre.
Alexis Vanier, Nicolas Meloche and Luca Ciampini scored for the Drakkar while Philippe Cadorette made 26 saves in the win. Saint John’s lone goal came from Samuel Dove-McFalls. Sebastien Auger got the day off and didn’t even dress for this game, allowing Bobby Dugan to make 20 saves in the loss.
It was a decent game from a Saint John standpoint. The Drakkar were buzzing in the first half of the first but the Sea Dogs weathered the storm. In the end, the Dogs outshot the Drakkar 27-23 in what was their third game in four days and second in less than 24 hours.
After a scoreless first period that saw the Drakkar outshoot the Sea Dogs 9-8, Baie-Comeau opened the scoring at 5:39 on a power play to make it 1-0. But Dove-McFalls quickly countered with a goal at 9:20 to even things at 1-1. Shots were 8-5 Saint John in the second stanza.
In the third, Meloche connected at 9:35 to make it 2-1 Baie-Comeau. The Dogs had a couple of power play opportunities in the period but could not score. Ciampini added an empty netter with 20 seconds left to secure the victory for the Drakkar. Shots in third were 11-9 in favour of Saint John.
- Sea Dogs scratches were goaltender Sebastien Auger (healthy); defensemen Adam Bateman (upper body) and Bailey Webster (healthy); and forwards Alex Kealey (body soreness) and Julien Tessier (healthy).
- Luke Green received a five-minute major and game misconduct for cross checking early in the third period.
- The Sea Dogs and Drakkar managed to play each other without getting into a brawl or having the power go out.
- Even though they went 1-2-0-0, this was a pretty solid road trip for the Dogs.
- Excellent webcast from Baie-Comeau.
The Sea Dogs host the Shawinigan Cataractes on Friday night at Harbour Station.