The Saint John Sea Dogs enter the Christmas break with a 16-19-0-0 record for 32 points. They sit fourth in the Telus Maritimes Division and 13th overall in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.
The Sea Dogs had some good stretches in the first half. They also had some bad stretches. In the end, they finished three games below the .500 mark. Most analysts predicted Saint John to finish around .500 and near the middle of the league standings, so they are right around where most thought they would be.
Here’s a closer look at how Saint John did statistically in the first half (all numbers according to league stats):
- The Sea Dogs are one of just three teams in the QMJHL to score less than 50 goals at home with 46. Chicoutimi (46) and Shawinigan (41) are the others.
- Saint John is a perfect 6-0 in games that go into extra time. They won four games in overtime and two games in a shootout.
- The Dogs are 10-3-0-0 when scoring first. Their 13 first goals are the second fewest in the league (Sherbrooke has seven).
- Saint John went 9-9-0-0 against divisional opponents. Only Halifax (17) and PEI (10) have more wins against Maritime division times.
- The Dogs went 3-0-0-0 against the Moncton Wildcats and 0-4-0-0 against the Halifax Mooseheads.
- It’s no secret that Saint John struggled offensively at times in the first half but their power play is ranked a respectable ninth at 21.9%.
- The Sea Dogs scored three shorthanded goals, the third fewest in the league.
- The Sea Dogs allowed seven shorthanded goals, the fifth most in the league. Halifax has surprisingly allowed nine.
- Saint John was outscored 43-28 in first periods, 38-34 in second periods, and 53-36 in third periods. Their 53 goals allowed in third periods is tied for most in the league.
- The Sea Dogs are 8-0-0-0 when leading after two periods and 1-17-0-0 when trailing after two.
- Saint John is 11-1-0-0 in games where they out shot their opponent. They are 5-17-0-0 when being out shot.
- The Dogs are 7-3-0-0 in one-goal games.
- Kevin Gagne is second in defensemen scoring with 34 points.
- Gagne is tied for the most goals by defensemen with 11.
- Stephen MacAulay is second in power play goals with 12.
- Jonathan Huberdeau is second in power play assists with 16.
- MacAulay is fifth in first goals with four.
- Gagne and Oliver Cooper are the only players in the league to score two overtime goals.
- Sebastien Auger has played the most minutes of any goaltender at 1794:53.
- Auger has made the most saves with 883.
- Ryan Tesink has the third longest goal streak with seven.
- Gagne’s +6 rating on November 2 is the best plus/minus rating in a game this year.
- Benjamin Hade’s -6 rating on October 6 is tied for the worst plus/minus rating in a game this year.
Lastly, according to HockeyFights.com, the Sea Dogs had 17 fights in the first half tying them for the third fewest in the league. The PEI Rocket had a league high 55.
Saint John opens up the second half on Saturday night against the Acadie-Bathurst Titan at Harbour Station.