Saturday, December 8, 2012

RECAP: Coming Close. Dogs Lose 4-2.

FINAL: Quebec 4, Saint John 2

By Tim Lumsden
SN Staff

SAINT JOHN – The Saint John Sea Dogs took on the Quebec Remparts on Saturday evening.

Sebastien Auger headed into the Saint John net to start while Francois Brassard started for Quebec.

The first goal took place quickly as Jonathan Huberdeau scored just 40 seconds in to make it 1-0. Stephen MacAulay and Kevin Gagne grabbed the assists. With that goal also came a rain of stuffed animals as the Sea Dog first marker meant the teddy bear toss was underway.

The first penalty also went to the Dogs as Stephen MacAulay was called for hooking at 1:28. 3:12 saw the first Remparts goal as Logan Shaw shot one high blocker side and inched past Auger. This tied the game 1-1.

Things started getting rough at 4:07 as Ryan Tesink and Anthony Gringas were sent to the box for roughing.

 Saint John was robbed a scoring chance at 8:10 but in return, Martin Lefebvre was sent off for interference; sending the Dogs to the power play. The Dogs could not score on the man advantage.

The Remparts went back on the penalty kill as Duncan MacIntyre was sent off for hooking at 12:45.

Shots were 11-9 Saint John in the first.

The Remparts scored their second goal as Adam Erne used some fancy footwork to get by Auger at 8:34.

Matthew Highmore spent some time in the box after being called for slashing at 10:10. The Remparts could not take advantage of the advantage.

The Sea Dogs went back to the power play as Auger was the victim of a hit and run. Hubert Lamarre was sent for a time out at 14:35.

Shots in the second stanza were 16-8 in favour of Quebec.

The Remparts started the third off with a bang as Grigorenko caught Auger off guard and scored the third Quebec goal at 1:21. That made it 3-1 Remparts.

The Dogs didn't let it go unanswered as Jason Cameron scored a quick one at 2:24. Andreas Tsogkas and Aidan Kelly took the assists. That brought the score to 3-2.

After what fans considered a missed call, Grigorenko scored an empty netter with 19 seconds left. Ryan Tesink was given an unsportsmanlike misconduct at the same time. The game would end 4-2.

Shots were 15-12 Saint John in the third.

The Sea Dogs went 0-for-3 on the power play while the Remparts went 1-for-2.

NOTES: See Sea Dogs Postscript tomorrow on SN.

NEXT GAME: The Sea Dogs return to Harbour Station tomorrow at 4pm when they take on the Halifax Mooseheads. Note the 4pm start time.

Photo: Marc Henwood/Station Nation

No comments:

Post a Comment