Sunday, December 9, 2012

RECAP: #ThankYouHuby. Dogs Lose 4-2.

FINAL: Halifax 4, Saint John 2

By Tim Lumsden
SN Staff

SAINT JOHN – The Saint John Sea Dogs faced off against the Halifax Mooseheads on Sunday afternoon.

Sebastien Auger once again took the net for Saint John while Zach Fucale stepped into net for Halifax.

Jason Cameron was first to the penalty box in this game. He received a hooking penalty at 4:52.

Halifax went up on the board at 8:09 as Jonathan Drouin scored on an overwhelmed Auger. It was 1-0 Halifax with a little over half of the period to go.

Brian Lovell was sent to the box for roughing at 10:31 after sending Cameron to the ice.

Oliver Cooper was the next Dog to the box, this time for hooking at 11:55.

Halifax increased their lead at 15:37 as Stefan Fournier slipped one into the Saint John net. That made it 2-0 Mooseheads.

Oliver Cooper took an elbowing penalty at 16:08, once again giving Halifax the advantage.

Halifax sent the Dogs to the power play when Brent Andrews was called for interference at 19:05.

Shots were 19-7 in favour of Halifax in the first.

Halifax rose to three goals after Matthew Boudreau scored at 6:07. 3-0 Moose.

The Sea Dogs finally went up on the scoreboard at 9:05 as Noah Zilbert managed to get one by Fucale thanks to an assist from Highmore. 3-1 was the score at the halfway mark of the period, with Halifax in the lead.

Matthew Highmore headed to the box for high sticking at 15:48.

The Dogs must have felt crowded because once the penalty kill began, Kevin Gagne scored the second Sea Dogs goal at 16:23. Assists went to MacAulay and Huberdeau. That made it a one-goal contest.
Stefan Fournier and Kevin Gagne went at it in front of Auger's net at 19:58. Gagne received two minutes while Fournier got four.

Shots were 14-7 Mooseheads in the second.

Saint John went to the penalty kill after Marcus Cuomo took a checking from behind penalty at 5:05.

Jonathan Huberdeau headred to the box at 13:09 after getting called for high-sticking.

The score rose to 4-2 as Darcy Ashley scored at 14:34.

At 15:46, the rink exploded as Jonathan Huberdeau and MacKenzie Weegar dropped the gloves. Each got five minutes for fighting. Huberdeau also got two for high-sticking, two minutes for instigating, a misconduct for instigator, a misconduct for abuse of an official, and a game misconduct for a fight in the final five minutes.

It’ll be interesting to see what comes from this mess. Huberdeau was involved in a bit of an altercation with a linesman prior to the fight which is why he got the misconduct. The linesman was hurt on the play and was attended to by paramedics in the penalty box before being helped across the ice and down the Sea Dogs tunnel. It was a bizarre way to end what was likely Huberdeau’s final game as a Sea Dog.

That would end the game with Halifax winning 4-2.

Total shots on goal were 41-18 in favour of Halifax.

NOTES: See Sea Dogs Postscript tomorrow on SN.

NEXT GAME: Saint John returns to Harbour Station on Tuesday night. They take on the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles. Puck drops at 7:00 pm.

Photo: Marc Henwood/Station Nation

No comments:

Post a Comment