Monday, December 31, 2012

RECAP: Out With A Bang. Dogs Win 3-1.

FINAL: Moncton 1, Saint John 3

By Tim Lumsden
SN Staff

SAINT JOHN - After a cancelled game in Moncton yesterday, Saint John hosted the Wildcats on New Year's Eve at Harbour Station.

Sebastien Auger took the net for Saint John while Cole Holowenko started for Moncton.

The first penalty was handed out to Moncton as Yannick Veilleux took an interference penalty at 4:09.

A penalty to Pierre Durepos for holding at 6:02 sent the Wildcats to their own power play which resulted in Yannick Veilleux scoring the first goal of the game at 6:33.

Noah Zilbert snuck one by Holowenko at 10:40 to tie the score 1-1. Oliver Cooper grabbed the lone assist.

Zilbert added a second goal to his nightly total at 14:08 - and this one was a beauty as he went around a Moncton defenseman - giving the Sea Dogs a 2-1 lead. Cooper and Smallman snagged a point each with the assists.

Ryan Tesink and Yannick Veilleux both headed to the box at 16:41 after getting a pair of matching slashing calls for New Year's.

Stephen MacAulay was sent off for cross checking at 19:51. Also, Ryan Tesink got four for roughing after the whistle and Moncton's Racine was handed a penalty for roughing after the whistle.

Shots on goal for the first period were 18-6 in favour of Moncton.

The Dogs burned off their penalties like pros thanks to some awesome saves from a very busy Sebastien Auger.

Smallman headed off to the box at 5:22 to serve a hooking penalty.

Alex Saulnier sent the ‘Cats to the penalty kill after receiving a tripping penalty at 9:55.

Saint John continued to get out shot during the second period, 15-8. The total shots were 33-14 in favour of Moncton.

Moncton continued to pelt the Saint John net but Sebastien Auger continued to shut the ‘Cats down.

With only 7.5 minutes left in the third, it was Auger city at Harbour Station as he had blocked 47 shots.

12:29 saw Christophe Lalonde head off for high sticking.

With Moncton’s net empty, some hard work paid off as Noah Zilbert scored his hat trick with just under a minute left thanks to a feed from Smallman. The Dogs would end the game with the 3-1 win.

Total shots on goal were 49-22 in favour if Moncton.

NOTES: See Sea Dogs Postscript tomorrow on SN.

NEXT GAME: The Sea Dogs travel to Halifax to face the Mooseheads at 7pm on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment