For the first time, the Saint John Mill Rats and Saint John Sea Dogs will play in the building on the same day. The Mill Rats take on the Halifax Hurricanes at 2 p.m. while the Sea Dogs host the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles at 8 p.m.
The two teams are holding a ticket promotion for season ticket holders. From the Mill Rats’ press release:
To commemorate the first ever 'Saint John Sports Day' the two teams are offering a season ticket holder promotion: the first 500 fans that show their current season tickets at the box office will be able to purchase a $5 ticket* to the Sea Dog's playoff game as well.
The Sea Dogs likewise are offering their season ticket holders the opportunity to attend the Mill Rats 2 p.m. game on Saturday for $5 also. *A box office fee of $1 applies.
The Mill Rats’ release claimed this was the first NBL Canada/CHL doubleheader in history, but there is some debate about that.
@SJMillRats error in article - not the 1st CHL/NBLC doubleheader. @LondonLightning & @GoLondonKnights played doubleheader April 7th 2013.— Dan White (@danfwhite) April 6, 2016
Doubleheaders happen quite a bit in professional sports. TD Garden in Boston holds them frequently.
- Local Express and the Cape Breton Post have recaps of last night’s game.
- The Charlottetown Islanders lost their series opener, 5-3, in Shawinigan last night. Game two of that series takes place this evening. The two others series, which feature Rouyn-Noranda taking on Blainville-Boisbriand and Gatineau facing Moncton, begin tonight.
- Thomas Chabot was named to the QMJHL’s second all-star team at this week’s Golden Puck Awards.
- The Halifax Mooseheads won the league’s draft lottery yesterday, giving them the first overall pick in this year’s QMJHL Entry Draft. The draft takes place on June 4 in Charlottetown.
- The Summerside Journal Pioneer has an article on Jason Cameron, Spencer MacDonald and Jordan Moore – all former Sea Dogs – and how the cancellation of the STU Tommies men’s hockey team will effect them.
- Zack Phillips is on the move again. After a stint with the AHL’s Chicago Wolves, Phillips has been assigned to the ECHL’s Kalamazoo Wings.
- Former Sea Dogs forward Nick Petersen has joined Eisbären Berlin for the 2016-17 season.
- Cool video here from photographer John Morris.